Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next week wife & I will be going to the nc Mtns.

I've never driven a diesel in the Mtns...is there anything I should do different ...anything normal to expect?

Aside from brakes, which will be done before I leave.

Thanks guys

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,442 Posts
Do you have an OBDII gauge setup? If so I would make sure that the BARO, EBP, and MAP all read the same (or very close) at KOEO.

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Use the tow/haul button for steep down grades. And watch your temps goingvyp them.

Sent from my SGSIII running a custom ROM.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you have an OBDII gauge setup? If so I would make sure that the BARO, EBP, and MAP all read the same (or very close) at KOEO.
Yes i have an insight cts

Use the tow/haul button for steep down grades. And watch your temps goingvyp them.

Will do.
What does using towhaul going downhill do?

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Being I'm still on stock bolts and running the srl tune...deltas 6-9*..

Would I be best to return to stock tune in the Mtns?

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
#1 rule granpa taught me about driving in the mountains..."you can go down a mountain too slow a million times, but only once too fast!"
also use your gears,the brake pedal is their for when you've screwed up

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
Using the tow button engages engine braking. It's awesome!

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Using the tow button engages engine braking. It's awesome!

I did not know that. Can you tell me a little more about that

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
If your going down hill with it on and you start to speed up, without using the gas, it uses the motor to slow you down.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I live at 6500 ft above sea level, routinely drive steep mountain passes with 10% grades up to 8500ft elevations......... down shift you auto tranny to 2nd gear to keep you from picking up to much speed on the down hill side. tow haul is not enough, you will rap your engine out using it. other than that, run the piss out it, it's like a harley, it loves the cool mountain air!!!!

·
Registered
590 Posts
btw, tow haul does not engage engine breaking, it engages your transmission to down shift when you apply the brakes heading down hill.......

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
What would one do if they do not read close to one another?

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
btw, tow haul does not engage engine breaking, it engages your transmission to down shift when you apply the brakes heading down hill.......
Funny because the guide calls it engine braking. I think your wrong.

·
Premium Member
9,154 Posts
What would one do if they do not read close to one another?
Means that something is out of wack with the VGT, and may cause issues when driving in higher altitude with thinner air.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Compression Ignition Addict
7,442 Posts
"From the 2004 WSM:
The Tow Haul feature was designed to assist the driver when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges, including all five forward gears, are available when using the tow haul feature. The tow haul function is activated and deactivated through a switch located on the end of the shift Overdrive lever. The indicator light that is located at the end of the shift lever will illuminate when the tow haul driving. is activated and will go off when deactivated. On some models, the indicator light is located on the instrument panel. With the tow haul activated, the transmission will have the following features:"
• Shifts will occur at higher vehicle speeds for a given accelerator pedal position to improve vehicle acceleration, reduce excessive shifting and increase the coast braking capability.
• The torque converter will lock up at lower vehicle speeds than normal with a given accelerator pedal position to improve transmission cooling and efficiency.
• Upshifts are temporarily delayed while decreasing accelerator position during hill cresting to reduce excessive transmission shifting and to prepare for a possible grade braking downshift event.
• Engine braking is provided in all forward gears without the requirement of moving the shift lever.
• Manual 1, 2 or 3 will still be available.
• Grade braking downshift feature provides increased coast braking automatically to assist driver in maintaining desired speed while descending a grade. This reduces duty cycle on the brake system and increases brake pad longevity.
• Grade braking downshifts are automatically commanded when:
— positive vehicle acceleration is sensed (natural acceleration from grade descent).
— a near zero accelerator pedal position is obtained.
— a minimum amount of time has expired since the last grade braking downshift.
• Grade braking downshift mode is immediately exited should the tow haul mode be deactivated or if the accelerator pedal is depressed beyond a minimum threshold.

Note the terminology - "grade braking downshift"

·
War is the answer!
5,386 Posts
It's great! Comes in very handy when I go to Colorado.

·
The Silent Service
5,390 Posts
Thread already has a lot of good information in it on the transmissions, these 5R110 units are great for the mountains.

A few things I keep an eye on are the ECT/EOT temps, and don't get wrapped around the deltas pulling the grades - EOT is going to climb. I personnaly set 200* as my limit for the transmission (210* if pulling heavy), 230* for ECT, 250* for EOT, and 1250* for EGT before pulling out of the throttle.

Expect to see a little higher boost levels than you are use to seeing (by a few pounds or so). As the sensor is three bars, and as reference pressure drops the computer will allow a little more boost - which helps overcome the lack of O2 at altitude.

Make sure your brakes and tires are in good condition, and if towing that includes the trailers as well.

·
Registered
590 Posts
bismic.......... thanks for the details on grade breaking down shifting in tow haul mode. my experience with desending 10% grades is better to down shift manually at the top before starting down the grade and not use the tow haul mode, otherwise when grade breaking does kick in it usually causes the motor to rap out and bury the tach gauge, someting that should be avoided. JMHO.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts