Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 4X4 CC with the long bed. I know people have talked about this before, but have never heard of any resolution. Every time I slow down to a stop I get a thump or feel more of a thump from the truck, when I remove my foot from break I get the same feeling again. I have crawled under the truck to try and move driveshaft left to right with no play what so ever. When I had the truck in the shop (dealership) for repairs on other things under warranty, I asked them to check it out, of coarse they said everything is normal. Now that I have over the 100,000 miles I am wondering if I bring it in I will get the same answer or some million dollar repair. I have driven many trucks prior to owning this one and have experienced this before with other trucks, not just as severe. Is this normal for a diesel CC long bed?

Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
853 Posts
not normal usually that is a sign of a u joint going out. My truck is a CC chassis cab with 9' flatbed so the whell base is longer than yours and I do not have any such noise or feeling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Have you had the turbo out at all or any exhaust work done? I jad my turbo out a few weeks ago and now the exhaust is slightly loose and bumps the firewall everytime I stop or start

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No exhaust or turbo work have been done. It's not really making any noise, just the annoying thump feel when stopping or starting. I would think if it's a u-joint I would hear this when putting in gear and that's not really the case.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Is it while hitting the gas/letting off the gas? Or hitting the gas/hitting the break?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's exactly when I come to a complete stop, then when I release the brake prior to stepping on throttle. It feels as if driveshaft or transmission is coming out of or going into gear. BTW it's an automatic trans.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hmmmm, doesn't sound like driveshaft, and the way you describe it it doesn't seem like it could be a transmission or motor mount.

Maybe a suspension component? I know ford calls them something else, but maybe a control arm? I know if a bushing were to go bad, it could cause the axle to shift back and forth a half inch or so which would cause a clunk under conditions like that.

Really that is just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You may be right as I know these trucks have tons of torque and with the longbed driveshaft it may be rocking the rear axle. I will crawl under there today to see if any of the rear suspension components show signs of wear.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do you grease the slip yoke?

·
Registered
152 Posts
I was actually thinking more of the front axle control arm bushings. During breaking there is a lot of weight shifted to the front. If any of the suspension bushings are worn it could cause a clunk.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suspension seems to be fine, did not see or feel anything that would be loose. Like I said there really isn't much of a sound just more of a feel in the truck. It feels as if I hit the gas hard from a light that something would break, either in the rear end or driveshaft. Is there a grease fitting for this slip yoke?

·
Registered
39 Posts
i have the same thing goin on, its definately annoying. it seems as if the rear axle may be wrappin jus a bit, just my assumption. hopefully some more of you ps owners chime in, pretty sure its not suspension related because it would and should be felt when hitting road bumps and such. hopefully someone can help out with this one. thx all, keep strokin!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I again was just tinkering around under the truck and everything is tight, I dont have any play at all on the driveshaft. It has to be axle wrap or something Im not seeing. I dont have a lift either, if thats any concern.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I don't think it would be driveshaft related because you are saying it happens during breaking and releasing of the break.

I think if it were driveline related it would happen while you are hitting the gas or letting off. During the time there is torque being applied and then removed...

Maybe what you are feeling is the period just before you stop/right after you let of when there is just enough tension on the breaks that the truck is just barley able to creep forward, and its kinda "squeaking". WHen this happens to me I can also feel it in the brake pedal. I can sometimes also modulate the pedal and make the truck constantly make the voice/feel. Just another idea....

·
Registered
23 Posts
to grease slip yoke you remove the rear drive shaft and grease the splines, don't forget to put some marks to help line everything back up. also don't put alot of grease or it will be hard to put back together. Mine would have like a thump when you break almost when it stops, and right when you would accelerate.

·
Registered
189 Posts
mine (08 ccsb no lift) does basically the same thing. it feels like a hesitation between releasing the brake and the truck rolling forward. if i don't give just a small pause, it thumps....almost like there is slack in the driveline. i can't find anything with any play at all.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Mine also does the same thing. It feels like a u-joint is shot but they all feel and look good.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
32 Posts
It the slip joint..... Grease the splines and that will get rid if the thunk right when taking off and when stopping. These trucks are notorious for the grease drying away in the slip joint yoke.
I don't know why they don't just simply put a grease fitting there to save everyone from having to always take it apart just to get grease in there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you do this? I have to drop drive shaft? Can I use a needle fitting to push grease in?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts