Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok heres whats going on,

I drove my truck in to work in the morning, it drove fine no issues. I got to start it up during lunch and It starts but i hear all kinds of raquet coming from under the hood. I shut it off. I started it back up and pulled it in the shop, pop the the hood and all of a sudden the injector harness lights up like a christmas tree, wires melted etc.I shut truck of promptly.... I decide to pull valve cover cover thinking i have a harness issue, which would explaing it running like **** but not the metallic noises. I pull the valve cover and find one glow plug electrical connector and half of the glow plug just chilling under the valve cover. obviously i had a ****ty autolite glow plug(replace 1 year ago) come apart. I called a few people and they all said autolites are notorious for coming apart.I guess the glowplug arched and fried the harness. Ok heres the kicker. I thoght i might have lucked out and all i needed was 4 glow plugs, harness and valve cover gasket.......Well i went to pull what was left of that glow plug out of the head and the tip was missing. Im pretty sure it is down in the cylinder, i tried using a magnet but no luck. It is probably smashed like a pancake. I have a few questions about the head removal. I am fairly knowledgable as i am a mechanic for a living but i dont really tinker with diesels other than my own.Any tips or suggestion would be helpful...

So all i would have to remove alt, ps pump,afew brackets, pushrods ,exh. manifold, possible turbo.... let me know if im missing anything...

Do i need to get new head bolts? are these one time torquers or are the resuable?

Do u think i could possibly pull the injector in that cylinder and get the debri out?

Also do the injectors need to be removed before i pull the head?

Thanks Guys...........

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Im gonna try to get this pulled tonight, if anyone has done this let me know. Thanks

Matt

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TTT..........................

·
Rebel
657 Posts
Yes injectors need to be pulled to get head off. I just redone a 6.0 You will have to remove everything you said and some. intake turbo coolant stuff. Fuel filter reservoir and move lines out of the way. I would recommended new head bolts and if your doing 1 might as well do both with new Head Gaskets and ARP studs so you only have to be there once. Its a rough job no lie but do able..:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts