Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for help to diagnose a very hot drivers rear rotor on my 2000 7.3. The passenger rear also seems hot but not as concerningly so.

I previously thought it was my caliper causing the issue since it was not free floating and in bad condition. Ended up replacing both rear calipers, rotors and pads. Since this it is still getting extremely hot. Pre and post changing brakes/calipers there has been no noise or squealing. I plan to jack up the rear end and check the brake lines and emergency brake however before doing this was hoping for some tips/steps on how this should be diagnosed and what to do next if these also check out.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
Could be the flex hose where the brake line heads up to the frame

I would loose up the bleeder a little to see if there is pressure in the system, when the caliper is hot
would help to have the wheel jacked up to see if it was binding -- then if there was pressure, if the binding was relieved

This would help to determine if the problem is in the brake lines/system or just in the caliper

jacked up would also be a good time to check for play in the wheel bearing
if the bearing is loose, that will cause drag on the brakes

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for help to diagnose a very hot drivers rear rotor on my 2000 7.3. The passenger rear also seems hot but not as concerningly so.

I previously thought it was my caliper causing the issue since it was not free floating and in bad condition. Ended up replacing both rear calipers, rotors and pads. Since this it is still getting extremely hot. Pre and post changing brakes/calipers there has been no noise or squealing. I plan to jack up the rear end and check the brake lines and emergency brake however before doing this

I previously thought it was my caliper causing the issue since it was not free floating and in bad condition. Ended up replacing both rear calipers, rotors and pads. Since this it is still getting extremely hot. Pre and post changing brakes/calipers there has been no noise or squealing. I plan to jack up the rear end and check the brake lines and emergency brake however before doing this was hoping for some tips/steps on how this should be diagnosed and what to do next if these also check out.
Have you checked your wheel bearings

·
Registered
920 Posts
Wheel bearings or warped rotors. If you checked. The rotors out, then you know the answer.

Sent from my Redmi Note 9 Pro using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts