Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vibration that I have been unable to find. All 6 wheels have been balanced and the ujoints and carrier appear to be o.k. The vibration is the worst between 40 and 45 mph. I have read that the driveshaft is balanced and should always be marked and reinstalled the same way if removed. How would I know if it had been reinstalled wrong by someone who worked on the truck in the past?

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
I have read the samething as well. How ever when I do my u-joints I have never marked my driveshaft. I have never had any vibrations from it when I reinstall it. Being the Driveshaft is spinning while in motion. It is balanced while spinning. The shop that built the driveshaft will ballance it the same way you highspeed ballance your tires.

What I would do is check the ball joints, check the carrier bearing, check the u-joints. Remove the driveshaft to inspect the u-joints. Just because you see no sign of wear does not mean they are not worn out. Also check the wheelbearings As well.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Look at the DS and see if one of the weights fell off.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Look at the DS and see if one of the weights fell off.
Or if there are any dents in the driveshaft that would throw it off ballance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the info guys

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
One of the hardest vibrations to find and easiest to correct is frozen or rusted u joints. They feel good in the vehicle but remove the drive shaft and the joints have a "hard" spot in them when you move or flex them.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just replaced my U joints and found out the hard way. I have the two piece driveline and didnt mark anything, however, i did take pictures before i took it apart. I installed it with the rear shaft upside down (it the slip yoke only goes onto the splines two ways) and had a nasty vibration around 40. I looked at the pictures and flipped it over on the splines and the vibe almost went away. It still had a hum to it around 70 mph. Then i noticed that the slip yoke with the nut on it that pokes through the carrier bearing was turned one spline too far clockwise. Thats all it took to make it vibrate. I moved it and it went away. The thing is if the balance is off, it will just vibrate more violently the faster you go. I had a bronco that did what you described around 40 and it ended up having one rusted out u joint. Fixed the problem. You probably wont know until you pull the caps off em'. 3 U joints for my f250 ran about70 bucks. good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts