Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a pretty good vibration when I get up around 72 - 80 mph. Then, after 80 mph or so the truck will not vibrate as bad. The vibration is mainly under my feet and under the center council. So, it seems like it would be my U-joints on the driveline. I checked the u-joints and they all seemed to be fine - no play or broken. There is really no vibration when I am under 70 mph either. Does this sound like a driveline problem - u-joints? What else could this possibly be if it is not the u-joints?

I have a two piece rear driveshaft and not a 1 piece. Could I have a bad center bearing, because there was definately a little play in the bearing.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
50 Posts
i would take the drive shaft out and take it to the driveline shop. around here its $50 to balance one and they can tell you if anything else is bad. is it a faster vibration than a tire balance issue.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, if it is a tire balancing issue then I could probably raise my truck and get the rear axle and tires off of the ground and get up to the speed I am feeling the vibration at and then see what happens. Then, I can just apply the brakes a little to get some friction and I would then be able to rule out some things; driveline, front tires, rear tires. My steering wheel does shutter a little when I feel the vibration in my feet and in the center of my truck as well, so would that have to do more with the tires or the driveline?

The vibration is definately a high speed issue and not a low speed one. I only get the vibration when I am going from 70 - 80 mph and nothing really under that. I mean I don't get the vibration at 20 or 30 mph.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
if the steering wheel shakes when you feel it, you probably have a tire balance problem. if you jack it up in the rear and run it at the speed it shakes, it will eliminate the front tires but could still be a rear tire shaking in the air. i have had this bit me before. i would get the tires balaced first.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, maybe I will get them balanced fisrt and see if that solves the problem. Then I can atleast rule that out, plus it won't be expensive. Hopefully that will work but if not then I will have to look into the driveline again. I will also have to check that center bearing out again because there is a little play in there as well.

Thanks again

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I thought I would give everyone my results. I ended up getting my tires balanced and that helped my vibration problem out a lot. They all were way out of balance! But, I still have a little vibration and I think I might replace my carrier bearing on the rear driveshaft. There is a pretty good amount of play, but does anyone know how much play there is supposd to be? Is there supposed to be any play at? I can move the drive shaft a 1/4" in the carrier bearing. I am just not for sure what is exceptable?

Matt

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
There should not be any play of the shaft through the bearing, or of the bearing itself moving around, now you should be able to move around the rubber absorber within the metal bracket/mount

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, that is actually what I was wondering. I thought there was a rubber absorder around the bearing. I am not exactly for sure if the shaft through the bearing has any play because I have not taken it apart, but I know I can move the bearing inside the rubber absorber, I think. I will have to double check now to see if I am actually moving the rubber absorber or the bearing in the rubber absorber. Should you really even be able to move the rubber absorber inside of the bracket?

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
69 Posts
My dad's truck is doing this exact same thing. Did you ever find a solution to it?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
raw109,

Yes, the tires actually got out of balance and that was the issue. I had them rebalanced and the vibration went away. That is the first place you should start with and then go from there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Had them balanced multiple times. It got better the last time when they were balanced on the truck. I know may sound crazy but this guy really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you know for sure the tires have been balanced right I would then get a diagnosis chart from a Ford dealer or if you have a manual and that will help you pinpoint the problem. Vibrations can come from all different areas on the truck but certain vibrations are caused at certian speeds and weather you are in gear or out of gear (out of balanced driveline can be felt at 25-35 mph and so on..). This will really help you out. We just worked on a truck with a bent axle housing and the owner couldn't figure out the problem so he had someone replace the driveline, tires, etc. before he had us take a look at it. So, make sure you solve the problem before you start replacing everything and wasting alot of money.

Good Luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts