Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to change my Driveline carrier bearing.
What driveline do I remove the front or the back?
And is the bearing pressed on to drive shaft?

It looks like simple job but if bearing is pressed on I do not have a puller or press
Any help will be appreciated
Thanks
Mike 03 F250 6.0 powerstroke

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
You will need to remove the driveshaft from the carrier bearing forward to the transfercase or transmission. Depending on if you have 4wd or not. You will need to have the bearing pressed off and the new one pressed on. Most local machine shops can do this for you. Some autopart stores are capable of doing this as well.

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
What is the carrier barring, is it the donut on the end? I thought that was a vibration dampener
Carrier bearing AKA center support bearing. It is about 3-4 ft from the tail shaft of the trans or t-case depending if the truck is 4wd. It supports the driveshaft. It has a ball bearing around the driveshaft eventually that bearing wears out. When it does it causes bad driveline vibration. Which then damages the u-joints. If it is not tended too it will explode from heat. When it does you must remove the rear drive shaft to drive the vehicle a short distance in 4wd if applicable. If you do not have 4wd and the bearing goes completely out then you have to call a tow truck.

Mine exploded 5 miles from my house. I removed the rear driveshaft and babied the truck home in 4hi. When this happened I was on my way to the parts store to get the new bearing.

This is a new one

·
COLLEGE KID
3,226 Posts
maybe. i should check mine out.. just one of those things that needs to be done i guess. I have serviced the front front pretty good. hubs brakes and wheel bearings. I havnt done anything to the rear. thanks BigC

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Big country, Thanks for the info, I got the parts, I guess I will have to find a press.From Appearance it looks like a 45 min job.I got a buddy with a press so I will give him a call
Thanks for the rapid responses
Mike

·
duct tape & zip ties
10,761 Posts
Also there is more then one size. So make sure you have the right size for your truck. There is a big one and a small one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts