1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
needs a pinion seal...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Looks like a pinion seal leak. It could lead to bearing failure when the fluid level gets too low in your axle.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Mine leaked with about 50k miles on it. Took it in and had it fixed under my extended warranty

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reading a little more on this it seems to be a fairly straight forward repair. Any suggestions or things to look out for?

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app

·
Administrator
30,758 Posts
check your vent tube also , if it's blocked pressure builds and will force oil past a seal.

that nut has a preload if your just pulling the nut to do the seal mark the nut on the pinion,and count the threads so you put it back exactly where it was

·
Registered
503 Posts
I done this repair to my truck last year just be sure you mark your driveshaft flange and count threads on the pinion nut. Not to bad of a job seemed to work for me no problems as of yet.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this something that can be done on jack stands or do I need a lift?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was under the impression I needed to take the wheels and drums off.

·
Registered
559 Posts
There also a chance your pinion bearings are going bad that why the seal is leaking.

Sent from the moon

·
Administrator
30,758 Posts
u pull the drive shaft (on mine I can just wire it up to the cross member to keep it out of the way ,, mind the u-joint doesn't fall out) at the axle remove the pinion nut and u joint yoke then
R&R the seal

at least at my best recollection lol but you don't need to remove tires
you just need to get to the pinion nut and then to the seal .

risco is correct it is possible but not common

Edit this truck is easier than my procedure above since the ujoint and yoke don't need to be separated they are bolted on with 4 bolts just make sure to set your brake and chock the wheels

·
Registered
503 Posts
I done mine with the truck on the ground and with the wheels still on. This would also be a good time to change your gear oil. I pulled the rear cover cleaned everthing and refilled with Amsoil Severe Gear diff. fluid.

·
Registered
559 Posts
To the op is your carrier bearing bad?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The bearings were good. It was a little low on fluid though. It took about two hours to complete it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts