Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
a known holder of grudges
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I put the truck in neutral, set the E brake, let the weight of the truck rest on the E Brake, then put her in park.

I crawled under the truck and turned the drive shaft to see how much play I have in it. There's not much, but there is a slight bit of play. Is there allowed to be any play in there, or are they supposed to be snug as a bug in a rug?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
is the play rotational??

·
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the play is rotational. All the joints seem to be snug and free of play, so I'm not sure where the play is...

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
there is supposed to be SOME rotational play but only enough to just barely feel. if it is anything more than that you have to pull your rear diff cover off, loosen the bearing caps and there will be nuts on either side of the carrier. you will have to adjust those nuts to move the carrier side to side to tighten up the driveline play. once you get it so there is only enough to feel it when twisting the driveshaft tighten down them bearing caps and thn check again. repeat until its right. this is the not so proper way to do it but it works well. you are supposed to use a special caliper to properly set the rear end backlash but this technique will get ya set up. regards

·
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks dude!

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Cool info, I have seen the bearing caps(4 bolts) what are the nuts you adjust to move the carrier??
thx

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
the nuts should just be on the outsides of the bearing caps. i havent tore down one of these rear ends yet but every other rear end i have tore down has em. sometimes they can be under the bearing caps too. if they are you can only loosen tha caps a little and then use a pick or angled needle nose to spin them

·
2,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the nuts should just be on the outsides of the bearing caps. i havent tore down one of these rear ends yet but every other rear end i have tore down has em. sometimes they can be under the bearing caps too. if they are you can only loosen tha caps a little and then use a pick or angled needle nose to spin them
Thanks for the info, I'll have to do this.... thx :thumb:

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah no problem. what we all here for

1 - 10 of 10 Posts