Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it says in the manual to "drain once a month", and its probably a good precautionary measure. but is it really necessary every month?

also, its says after draining you must turn the key to the run position and hold for 30 seconds and repeat 6 times, i`m assuming this to prime the system but if you don`t do that will the truck start? :doh:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Kapt.
You only need to prime the fuel bowl by turning the key on for thirty seconds (six times) after you change the fuel filters. You don't need to do that when you're just draining the water separator. I drain mine the first week of every month and I get a very little bit of water. I use BP Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel from a busy station so it's pretty clean and not a lot of water.
Shinny

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kapt.
You only need to prime the fuel bowl by turning the key on for thirty seconds (six times) after you change the fuel filters. You don't need to do that when you're just draining the water separator. I drain mine the first week of every month and I get a very little bit of water. I use BP Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel fuel from a busy station so it's pretty clean and not a lot of water.
Shinny
dude,

thats not what that manual says,

superduty

6 times for 30 seconds in order to purge the air :nod:

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
The reason that they say to cycle the key is to ensure that no air enters the high pressure fuel system. If air enters the high pressure fuel system then you will end up with a no start.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
They put that high of a number in there to cover their butts. My opinion is better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I don't cycle at all after i drain the separator. never had a problem....knock on wood

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
drained it for about 30 seconds. i primed it 3 times (30 seconds) and it fired up no prob.

pretty easy to carry out, seems this will be a monthly ritiual.:thumb:

·
Registered
722 Posts
I changed the filters on mine the other day and the pump kept running until all the air was out of the system. I still cycled the key like 10 times.
BTW. when doing the filters do one at a time cycling the key before proceeding to the next filter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts