Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to do a coolant flush. In checking out my truck, "someone" rounded out the block drain plug on the drivers side. Before coming to this conclusion I tried both metric/SAE wrenches but nothing fit . I was expecting it to be difficult but his added a new degree of difficulty that I was not prepared for. Sprayed with PB Blaster and tried to lightly turn with an easy out. No luck. Anyone run into this or have any ideas short of pulling the engine? If no go, I will do the flush and leave the plug in place. Thx

·
Registered
75 Posts
If it's an allen head you can go a few different ways.

Try after the engine is warm

Try and hammer in a bigger fitting in opposite type, i.e. sae to metric, etc.

Weld a socket allen fitting to the allen head. this always works, just make sure you disconnect your batteries. You'll fry the computer.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drain Plug

If it's an allen head you can go a few different ways.

Try after the engine is warm

Try and hammer in a bigger fitting in opposite type, i.e. sae to metric, etc.

Weld a socket allen fitting to the allen head. this always works, just make sure you disconnect your batteries. You'll fry the computer.
Thx guys, (It is an allen head plug) I was hoping to avoid welding but this is a better alternative than trying to drill it out; I would be afraid of getting metal shavings in the engine. Now to find a welder....:thumb:

·
Premium Member
5,699 Posts
see if you can find a torx bit that will almost fit and hammer it in. the teeth will grab but you may ruin the bit. if not maybe drill the rounded out hole slightly larger

torx is a poor mans extractor. I've pulled out more than one rounded hex this way

oh yeah, and remember to get a new plug before you ruin the old one getting it out

·
Registered
533 Posts
^^^ was just going to recommend this!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
see if you can find a torx bit that will almost fit and hammer it in. the teeth will grab but you may ruin the bit. if not maybe drill the rounded out hole slightly larger

torx is a poor mans extractor. I've pulled out more than one rounded hex this way

oh yeah, and remember to get a new plug before you ruin the old one getting it out
Thx, Good One, I will try this before grabbing a welder. Sounds like a trip to Harbor Freight for a cheap torx set. Oh yeah, and a trip to the Ford dealer for the replacement plug. :woot:

·
Registered
53 Posts
An old Maintenance guys trick is to cut the tang on a file to the correct fit and drive it in. The tang is hardened and will grip on some ocassions where other things wont. If you can't get it drill it out only to the bottom of the allen well. Then use a pipe extractor.You can also cut off a regular extractor till you get a perfect fit to get it out.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Coolant Drain Plug Success

see if you can find a torx bit that will almost fit and hammer it in. the teeth will grab but you may ruin the bit. if not maybe drill the rounded out hole slightly largertorx is a poor mans extractor. I've pulled out more than one rounded hex this way
THANK YOU!:thumb: After spraying the plug with PB Blaster for 3-days I crawled under the truck with a breaker bar and a T50 torx head 3/8" socket. I used a paint stick to mark the plug so I would know it was turning and not just the wrench spinning in the hole. I drove the torx into the plug with a small hammer until the socket would stay in the plug by itself. Used the breaker bar and a 6" extension. It actually took very little torque to break the plug loose once I had a good bite. Looks like I will be able to get that coolant flush done this weekend after all. Excellent tip.....:nod:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts