Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, about 2 months ago I put a 2.5" leveling kit on my truck, and a trac bar relocation bracket (which bolted to the axle). I then adjusted the drag link to make my wheel straight, and might not have been paying attention, but I TIGHTENED it I think. From then on when I hit a bump, my wheel shimmyed left and right when the truck bounced.

Yesterday I was backing up with the wheel cranked and i heard and felt a clunk! I am almost positive it was the drag link adjustment bracket, and the tierod and center rod which does to the piman arm pulled out about 3/8" total.

At first this scared me but when I drove it, it rode much better! My question is now that my steering wheel is off about a 1/4 turn, should I readjust the long way around? Will this effect my steering? Or is this how it should have been done after I lifted it?

Sorry for the book! Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
How about any advice on straighnening the steering wheel? How to get it perfect?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Are you saying that the adjustment sleeve was loose?

As for adjusting the drag link, Key on, engine off, tires straight and adjust the drag link adjustment sleeve until the wheel is straight. If done properly, steering isn't effected.

Be sure to adjust the drag link and not the tie rod.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you saying that the adjustment sleeve was loose?

As for adjusting the drag link, Key on, engine off, tires straight and adjust the drag link adjustment sleeve until the wheel is straight. If done properly, steering isn't effected.

Be sure to adjust the drag link and not the tie rod.
no it wasnt loose, but it did pop, and slide a bit... I think there was too much tension!

When you say adjust the drag link not the tie rod, do you mean the bar that comes from the pitman arm oppsed to the one that runs parallell with the axle, or the top half of the the bar that comes from the pitman arm?

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
Drag link connects from the pitman arm to the tie rod.

The Tie Rod goes from knuckle to knuckle across the front.

As for popping and sliding in the adjuster sleeve, something is wrong.
Both ends of the drag link are threaded as is the adjuster and shouldn't move. The bolts on the clamps are to keep the adjuster tight, they need to be tight.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I adjusted everything and tightened everything, and my truck feels better...

but now when I turn the wheel towards passenger side everything is normal, and when I turn it towards driver side (at idle) it sticks, unless I hold it then it will go. It sticks in like 2 spots!? Any idea what this could be caused from? I am almost 100% sure the pitman arm isnt hittin anything, and the steering fluid is full. It feels like it has low power steering fluid because if you hold it in that direction it will eventually go.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
153 Posts
If your steering drag link is not at the same angle as the track bar itr will bind and you will have bump steer. You may need a pitman arm for the lift.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
its just a leveling kit though... they dony make a pitman for a 2.5" lift do they?

·
Registered
28 Posts
poping

what did you find out about the problem? i have the same truck that did the same thing after 2 1/2 leveling kit, mine ended up stripping the sleeve and had to weld it to get it home,
thanks for any input

1 - 9 of 9 Posts