Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since i installed my dptuner a few months ago I've had problems with it cutting out at random times. Mostly due to vibrations. Things like hitting large bumps, my kicker 12s hitting deep bass notes and things like that cause it at random times. I ccan unplug the chip some and wiggle it on the terminal on the pcm and plug it back in and it fixes it for a week or two then it happens again. I didn't have this problem with my quadzilla or Tony wildman chips... Any suggestions? I can also make it cut out by bumping he pcm with my foot or hand. Sometimes its minor and sometimes the truck dies completely. Very embarrassing when driving 65 down the highway and also unsafe.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Duct tape it in there so it doesnt move. I know how dangerous it is when it cuts out, so hope you get it fixed soon. I had the same problem as you and I slowly got onto the shoulder and stopped 2 inches away from a pretty big post.

·
riddin' high
2,877 Posts
my truck cuts out when i flip my head lights on while running, dies completely. Take my dp off and the truck is fine....and slow ha

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Make sure all the glue is off the connections too

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
my truck cuts out when i flip my head lights on while running, dies completely. Take my dp off and the truck is fine....and slow ha
If you have HIDs that's because of the cable with the DP tuner, they says it's cheap HID kits but that isn't the case...

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
OP its probably your HIDs like stated above, as much as I want to say the duct tape doesnt work it made sure my DP stayed on the PCM and connected and my truck was lifted (rode like a wagon) and through my subs (2 JL w12s) but DP is known for this which is why most people go with the PHP tunes, never had a problem with my DP though

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pcm mounted in black box, which is trimmed so its easier for chip removal and replacement. I did alot of chip switching and tuning when I had my TW chip on there. Never taped it(might try that to hold it tighter in there). I fixed my HIDs by running a relay switched by the headlight power wire and running the power to the ballasts from the passenger side battery. (Now it only studders 5 out of 100 times instead of almost every time I turn my headlights on.) I've never had this problem with any other chip before. The terminals are cclean with no glue also...

·
Banned
4,240 Posts
Pcm mounted in black box, which is trimmed so its easier for chip removal and replacement. I did alot of chip switching and tuning when I had my TW chip on there. Never taped it(might try that to hold it tighter in there). I fixed my HIDs by running a relay switched by the headlight power wire and running the power to the ballasts from the passenger side battery. (Now it only studders 5 out of 100 times instead of almost every time I turn my headlights on.) I've never had this problem with any other chip before. The terminals are cclean with no glue also...
Try mounting the PCM/chip without the box... (And tape in place)

I origionally mounted it like you did, and was having similar, (as well as others) It was turning the chip (even taped) causing all my issues.. lost the box and been good since! (*knocks on wood*) :thumb:

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
DP Tuner has a problem with their design and the hardware is poorly shielded against Electrical Interference generated by other sources.

They have steadfastly denied this to their customers, in what I can only call a dishonest manor, and should be ashamed of themselves for not admitting the fault. :(

There are many posts about this, mostly about HID interference, and they just stick to this Kock-&-Bull story about "electrical surge" being the issue instead their design flaw in inadequately shielding the cable (I think that's the source, I don't have one (thank goodness) but have suggested to others they better ground/shield the F5 (or whatever they call it....))

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Electrical interferance issue was fixed from my hids. Now my problem is vibrations, bumps, and harsh movement. Hitting large potholes, washboard roads, my subwoofers hitting deep bass sometimes does it too

·
Premium Member
8,673 Posts
Electrical interferance issue was fixed from my hids. Now my problem is vibrations, bumps, and harsh movement. Hitting large potholes, washboard roads, my subwoofers hitting deep bass sometimes does it too
I see.... So you're attributing the Subs interference being mechanical ;) not electrical :D

Yea, sounds like a connection issue somewhere then I guess.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have mine taped in and through some off roading and a good amount of miles never had a problem, give that a try?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see.... So you're attributing the Subs interference being mechanical ;) not electrical :D

Yea, sounds like a connection issue somewhere then I guess.
Ya... That's what I'm saying. Because after it starts cutting out I can pull over, turn truck off,pull chip out then push it back in securely and its fine for a week or so. Ill try taping it when I come home from being offshore

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Subs hitting deep bass would cause a low voltage which is what triggers the DP tuner to shut the truck off. Same as the spike when u turn on the HIDs. Just a thought. I am glad I do not have a DP cause my "electrically noisy" truck as I was told by someone would probably never run.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts