Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen this in tuners that you have a valve that when opened you have a straight through exhaust and when closed reroutes the exhaust back to the muffler.

YouTube - QTP Electronic Exhaust Dump Passat 1.8T

what if you had one of these installed and still allowed to use your DPF under normal driving and then had the dump pipe for full on racing? :dunno:

that way you arent getting screwed for driving a non street legal vehicle. :woot:

is anyone doing this? or interested in this?

just a idea that came to me.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I know this is old, but has anyone done this?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Tuning has to change to much to go around the filter so you can't just open a valve and change the exhaust path. The truck will see the change in pressure's and EGT temps at the 3 EGT sensor's causing issues with running,check engine lights, limp mode etc.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Interesting question for sure. I wonder if the OP is intending to use it on a tuned truck because obviously it wouldn’t work without a tuner. I’m thinking with the mini-max shift on the fly tuning you could easily switch to stock - DPF on and close the valve if needed (inspection / warranty work). Then switch it back to your preferred tune and open up the exhaust. Had never thought of it and doesn’t really apply to me since I already scrapped my DPF but still intriguing. I would imagine however that a visual inspection would catch this as it’d be pretty clear there was a valve installed with an alternate functioning exhaust routed.

Still tho, thinking outsite the box, I like it!! :thumb:

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah I would def have tuning! My question is this tho, I have read the federal law and it states that u cannot remove or alter any emissions equipment originally placed on the vehicle by the manufacturer.. Well the valve will be before the dpf and will be going around it. SO technically u aren't altering the dpf at all. U are altering the pipe before hand and the one after.. No law against that. And u could say that its for when u do truck pulls and drags and stuff but when you are driving on the main roads u have the DPF functional. In my opinion (which might not mean sh**, lol) theres nothing they could do... correct me if I am wrong.
And I don't see why it would cause an issue with anything because as such the dpf is like a big catalytic convertor essentially and exhaust flows through that just fine, I mean yes u would obviously have to have the dpf delete tune...
I guess I am asking because I am buying a 6.4 in the next couple weeks, coming from the DMAX side, I get avg of 17-18 in my lifted dmax on 35's.. I want to do the delete, but I also tow a 27ft enclosed trailer with a Jeep in it and don't want to be flagged into a weigh station and pay a huge fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Have any of you guys been nabbed for the delete pipes?? If so did they give u a warning first or...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Yeah I would def have tuning! My question is this tho, I have read the federal law and it states that u cannot remove or alter any emissions equipment originally placed on the vehicle by the manufacturer.. Well the valve will be before the dpf and will be going around it. SO technically u aren't altering the dpf at all. U are altering the pipe before hand and the one after.. No law against that. And u could say that its for when u do truck pulls and drags and stuff but when you are driving on the main roads u have the DPF functional. In my opinion (which might not mean sh**, lol) theres nothing they could do... correct me if I am wrong.

You are still equipping the truck to be ABLE to bypass emissions devices, still illegal (in my opinion)

And I don't see why it would cause an issue with anything because as such the dpf is like a big catalytic convertor essentially and exhaust flows through that just fine, I mean yes u would obviously have to have the dpf delete tune...
I guess I am asking because I am buying a 6.4 in the next couple weeks, coming from the DMAX side, I get avg of 17-18 in my lifted dmax on 35's.. I want to do the delete, but I also tow a 27ft enclosed trailer with a Jeep in it and don't want to be flagged into a weigh station and pay a huge fine.
MOST people who run deletes don't get in trouble. If you are running around blowing smoke all over and just acting like a tool, you will make yourself a target. When you are pulling your trailer or Jeep, do you normally hit weight stations? I have never hit a weigh station ever and have towed a 29' fiver camper a few times back when I first started driving. Mainly, does your state do any type of emissions testing?

·
Registered
202 Posts
MOST people who run deletes don't get in trouble. If you are running around blowing smoke all over and just acting like a tool, you will make yourself a target. When you are pulling your trailer or Jeep, do you normally hit weight stations? I have never hit a weigh station ever and have towed a 29' fiver camper a few times back when I first started driving. Mainly, does your state do any type of emissions testing?
No not currently.. But We might move to NH were they do just a OBD scan.. Never really heard of that tho.. What are they checking for in the OBD?

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I had my delete done, I wanted to see how the computer would react with just the dpf removed and not flashed. I made it about 10 minutes from the shop and it went into regen. I ended up having to flash it on the side of the highway to get it out of regen.

·
Registered
202 Posts
When I had my delete done, I wanted to see how the computer would react with just the dpf removed and not flashed. I made it about 10 minutes from the shop and it went into regen. I ended up having to flash it on the side of the highway to get it out of regen.
I plan on tuning the truck with either Spartan or H&S... Will the delete show up on a obd scan?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don't believe so, in the book that came with my SCT it says the only code caused by the flash is the same code generated from unhooking the battery P1000 I think?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts