Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i saw a post about someone trying to find an extra dpf/doc and beat them out so it looks stock but really its a run through......whats everyone's thoughts on this?:dunno:eek:r what about just running a pipe through the middle of it?:confused:anybody with experience on beating out catalytic got an opinion?:bump:

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Wear a respirator if you are going to do this.

Also, eat breakfast first. That **** in the DPF is harder than Chinese arithmetic.

Last one I did, I drilled about 15 holes down through it with a 2ft long drill bit and started hammering away. I would have drilled more but the drillbit broke in the process. The cat comes apart real easy. One hit to the center of the catalyst with a punch and it's all over.

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how is the flow?im thinking there might be some extra back pressure due to the expansions of the material being gone.but better flow than that crap being there.what are your opinions on it,is it worth it or what and should you have a good one to put on in case you go to the dealer?i wanna hear everything on this.i mean obviously this is only to get by checks in the states by state patrol or who ever but i would like all the info you have to offer.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Extra backpressure? You're basically flowing air through a big *** can...

And any diesel guy worth his salt can hear that it's hollow...LOL. :)

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Extra backpressure? You're basically flowing air through a big *** can...
i get that but the way air flows when it opens into that larger chamber itll create a vortex creating back pressure,it will want to spread out over the whole area and i would imagine two of these chambers doing so would create some back pressure.obviously itll flow better than if the dpf/doc were working as advertised but just wondering if you thought that the flow would be a bad effect because of the vortex.but i guess im wrong in that thinking.:dunno:

·
Registered
61 Posts
how is the flow?im thinking there might be some extra back pressure due to the expansions of the material being gone.but better flow than that crap being there.what are your opinions on it,is it worth it or what and should you have a good one to put on in case you go to the dealer?i wanna hear everything on this.i mean obviously this is only to get by checks in the states by state patrol or who ever but i would like all the info you have to offer.
A gutted dpf might fool them, but soot all in your tailpipe won't. And yes, they will notice the soot.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
i get that but the way air flows when it opens into that larger chamber itll create a vortex creating back pressure,it will want to spread out over the whole area and i would imagine two of these chambers doing so would create some back pressure.obviously itll flow better than if the dpf/doc were working as advertised but just wondering if you thought that the flow would be a bad effect because of the vortex.but i guess im wrong in that thinking.:dunno:
OK now I'm on board with your thinking.

I don't think it really makes a huge deal, but there is merit to your thinking. I imagine at higher horsepower levels this might become somewhat of an issue.

As for the sooty tailpipes? I see stock trucks with sooty tailpipes all the time, the DPF isn't real great especially if people don't maintain their truck or run ****ty fuel. They crack pretty frequently.

·
Registered
61 Posts
OK now I'm on board with your thinking.

I don't think it really makes a huge deal, but there is merit to your thinking. I imagine at higher horsepower levels this might become somewhat of an issue.

As for the sooty tailpipes? I see stock trucks with sooty tailpipes all the time, the DPF isn't real great especially if people don't maintain their truck or run ****ty fuel. They crack pretty frequently.
I can only speak for mine-spotless after 51000 miles, since new.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Mine is as well. 4....4000 or so?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Either way, it's a tell tale sign that SOMETHING is wrong with your truck and will cause them to whip out the ol' magnifying glass. If you want to play, just be aware of the risks and man up if you get caught. You will have no one to blame but yourself in the end. My truck is how I make a living here in Norcal, so it stays stock. If I could afford to own one of these trucks for personal use only, I would risk it.

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol,ok well i dont leave in an emissions state but was interested in this because i saw it on a thread and wanted to get some ideas out there for other people and myself.knowledge is power and one day i

·
shhhhh, can you hear it?
2,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
lol,ok well i dont live in an emissions state but was interested in this because i saw it on a thread and wanted to get some ideas out there for other people and myself.knowledge is power and one day i will have it all:hehe:

·
Registered
81 Posts
How hard it this

How hard is this to do and what tools are required? Does all of the internals come out of both the DOC and DPF or you just take out as much as you can without damaging the casing?

Thanks...

·
Registered
346 Posts
It is pretty easy to do. The dpf is filled with a ceramic block with tiny little holes. If you have a sealed combustion gas water heater, you can see the same stuff if you look in the little hole underneath it.
I used a hammer drill with a 1" concrete bit. Its not attached to the metal casing so there is no way to damage it.
Didn't do the doc so don't know about that one.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I complained about the frequency of my re-gen from DAy ONE ...and...the fact that my exhaust was sooty as the dickens. Finally someone on the Forum suggested I not take "NO" for an answer. Took it in and sure as..... it was cracked. Clean tips now...but doesn't matter anyway. New BlackMaxx , etc. etc. going on next week:)))

·
Registered
250 Posts
The tips will clean, you should put it back to stock and clean the tips a bit before taking your truck in for service.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
If the check is visual and they see what looks like a DPF and CAT, but have black tips the worst I would think is a fix it ticket. Cracked DPF. But if they don't see a DPF or DOC then hold on to your wallet.

·
Premium Member
861 Posts
Just took the truck in for a smog check.............thank you Kalifornia. I could have passed with a gutted DPF and CAT. It was all visual. $68.00 wasted.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts