Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend that has an 08 F-350 DRW 4x4 with a 6 speed. He told me today he was going to get a chip to get a little more power and better furl economy. I told him he wouldn't gain any mpg's unless he deleted the DPF. My question is, is the DPF bolted in or welded in and what companies offer DPF delete tunes? He will probably only want a tow tune since he pulls horses a lot. He likes to buy stuff before he researches it very well, :doh: so I won't have much time. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I have a friend that has an 08 F-350 DRW 4x4 with a 6 speed. He told me today he was going to get a chip to get a little more power and better furl economy. I told him he wouldn't gain any mpg's unless he deleted the DPF. My question is, is the DPF bolted in or welded in and what companies offer DPF delete tunes? He will probably only want a tow tune since he pulls horses a lot. He likes to buy stuff before he researches it very well, :doh: so I won't have much time. Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
There's 3 that I know of currently and the dpf delete are all bolt on. SCT, BADP (Bay Area Diesel Performance), and Spartan (Matt). As far as the delete pipe you can purchase those from a few members that make them here or from those companies. Someone will chime in with the name of those members.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's 3 that I know of currently and the dpf delete are all bolt on. SCT, BADP (Bay Area Diesel Performance), and Spartan (Matt). As far as the delete pipe you can purchase those from a few members that make them here or from those companies. Someone will chime in with the name of those members.
So the factory DPF filter just unbolts? Sorry if I'm being repetitive. Don't know a whole lot about the 6.4.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So the factory DPF filter just unbolts? Sorry if I'm being repetitive. Don't know a whole lot about the 6.4.
Yes it just unbolts and comes off once its removed from the rubber hangers. Then the dpf delete bolts in its place. All you have to re-use is the gasket thats attached to the dpf.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes it just unbolts and comes off once its removed from the rubber hangers. Then the dpf delete bolts in its place. All you have to re-use is the gasket thats attached to the dpf.
So I assume if he has a warranty problem he could just bolt the factory DPF back in and remove the tune? Can you tell that it had a program in it or does any trace get removed from the PCM with so many key cycles or unhooking batteries? I know Ford is really cracking down on these trucks but I use to work att he dealership he takes it to and the diesel tech is a real good friend of mine.

·
Registered
182 Posts
So I assume if he has a warranty problem he could just bolt the factory DPF back in and remove the tune? Can you tell that it had a program in it or does any trace get removed from the PCM with so many key cycles or unhooking batteries? I know Ford is really cracking down on these trucks but I use to work att he dealership he takes it to and the diesel tech is a real good friend of mine.
Yes you can just bolt back in the factory DPF but no guaranties that they won't be able to tell that you removed it. As far as the programmer issue i've seen some people say Ford can find out if you had one and some people say you can't. So I would have to say I'm not sure. If the diesel tech is a good friend then you shouldn't have any issues unless a Ford engineer is sent down to review the warranty claim.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you can just bolt back in the factory DPF but no guaranties that they won't be able to tell that you removed it. As far as the programmer issue i've seen some people say Ford can find out if you had one and some people say you can't. So I would have to say I'm not sure. If the diesel tech is a good friend then you shouldn't have any issues unless a Ford engineer is sent down to review the warranty claim.
Appreciate the info. Any idea how much the tuners, custom tunes and delete pipe are? Trying to keep him from buying Edge or Banks which is what he is looking at.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Appreciate the info. Any idea how much the tuners, custom tunes and delete pipe are? Trying to keep him from buying Edge or Banks which is what he is looking at.
SCT will run you about $1400-$1500 w/the DPF delete pipe. The DashDaq i've heard will run about $1100 but I don't know if that includes the DPF delete, rumor has it it's not the best quality, and BADP I believe is $1300-$1500 depending on the options. There's a few vendors on this site that sell the SCT and Matt from Spartan Tuners is the DashDaq.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
SCT will run you about $1400-$1500 w/the DPF delete pipe. The DashDaq i've heard will run about $1100 but I don't know if that includes the DPF delete, rumor has it it's not the best quality, and BADP I believe is $1300-$1500 depending on the options. There's a few vendors on this site that sell the SCT and Matt from Spartan Tuners is the DashDaq.
I really appreciate all your help. Nice truck BTW! :drool::drool:

·
Premium Member
908 Posts
Sean (powerstroker67) is who I bought my delete pipe from. He is very friendly and a very good price and the pipe looks great. It's from the DP back and will make it to the size you want. I chose the 4" and I love it.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sean (powerstroker67) is who I bought my delete pipe from. He is very friendly and a very good price and the pipe looks great. It's from the DP back and will make it to the size you want. I chose the 4" and I love it.
He's probably going to keep the stock exhaust with the exception of the DPF. Is the stock exhaust big enough for a programmer?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts