Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently bought my second 6.4 and have been looking for dpf delete capable tuning devices with custom tunes. The only thing I can really find is the spartan set up which I had on my last 6.4 and hated the way it shifted in anything higher than the 210 tune. I like the looks of the livewire ts, but the only one being sold is the competition model that doesn't allow the dpf to be deleted. Are there any other custom tuning options available that won't cost me 1800 bucks like the spartan with a dpf delete exhaust?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I just recently bought my second 6.4 and have been looking for dpf delete capable tuning devices with custom tunes. The only thing I can really find is the spartan set up which I had on my last 6.4 and hated the way it shifted in anything higher than the 210 tune. I like the looks of the livewire ts, but the only one being sold is the competition model that doesn't allow the dpf to be deleted. Are there any other custom tuning options available that won't cost me 1800 bucks like the spartan with a dpf delete exhaust?
I'm going to be switching to the SCT x4. I'm gonna get a set of gearheads tuning. I'd highly recommend either H&S, Spartan, or SCT. Only reason i'm not running with the gearboxz tuner is because I want to get rid of the EGR.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would really like to run a sct of some sort with custom tunes to save money for other things. After having the spartan I just feel like tunes from innovative would be better if I could get dpf delete tunes on the new sct devices. Rudy's is close to my area so I would probably order from them. SCT Livewire TS Pre-Programmed with INNOVATIVE DIESEL CUSTOM TUNES. This kit is what I had in mind. Has anyone else ordered this set up?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure how long ago you had spartan but I think their tunes have gotten much better since the start. Also just a FYI the competition models of the sct's do delete the dpf and EGR it's just done through the custom tuning that comes loaded on them. The down side to them is currently there is only a select few who are writing custom tunes on those models. Also the 5015ts has been problematic when it comes to displaying info. If you look around for a little bit you can find 3015r for a decent price and get whatever custom tuning you'd like.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Not sure how long ago you had spartan but I think their tunes have gotten much better since the start. Also just a FYI the competition models of the sct's do delete the dpf and EGR it's just done through the custom tuning that comes loaded on them. The down side to them is currently there is only a select few who are writing custom tunes on those models. Also the 5015ts has been problematic when it comes to displaying info. If you look around for a little bit you can find 3015r for a decent price and get whatever custom tuning you'd like.
You have me confused. So you're saying you can't get dpf/egr delete tunes for the x4?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Who can custom tune the competition models? And I had Spartans tunes 2 years ago. It made great power but the shifting was off. I would go back with them if I can't find a better deal than what I have been seeing. But Rudy's has that livewire ts with tunes from innovative for a lot cheaper than a spartan! If the new livewire is worth buying. I would really just like to hear what other people have and where I can get my hands on something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You have me confused. So you're saying you can't get dpf/egr delete tunes for the x4?
Didn't mean to confuse you lol. I have been getting mixed responses about being able to do egr and dpf deletes with new tuners and was looking for solid answers before I buy anything.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Didn't mean to confuse you lol. I have been getting mixed responses about being able to do egr and dpf deletes with new tuners and was looking for solid answers before I buy anything.
Haha, no worries. I'm kinda in the same boat now. I have the Tachyon tuner and in the description it says EGR/DPF deleteable, but yet it can't do the EGR delete. I got a steal on a full EGR delete no now i'm looking at the SCT x4.10 custom tune slots, gauges, touch screen, wifi updateable, does laundry.. wait no. :hehe:

I'm just not sure if i need a special version of the SCT or if its just in the files. I'm still new to the tuner industry. Learnin as i go.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also new too the tuner world. I have a 6.7 and looking at the SCT x4 - but will it do the deletes in a few months when I'm ready to do them ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Guys, This thread is relevant to my interests!

I'm just about to delete my DPF. I've been looking at Tuners, and I'm trying to figure out exactly how they work. I thought that when you bought the Tuner, that it came pre-loaded with several Tunes to choose from. I talked with my local shop and they recommend the SCT X4 for my 6.4L. I guess that they load the Tuner with custom tunes right there in the shop.

I told them that I wanted to keep it as close to stock performance as possible. I'm after longevity with my motor, not high horsepower. He said that they have a "Towing Tune" that's pretty mild. But that doesn't tell me much. I was leaning more towards a Spartan Tuner initially. But he said something about tranny shifting issues with the Spartan. So now, I'm more confused than ever.

Any experiences, thoughts, ideas are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
5,979 Posts
Honestly the x4 is the most versatile but relies heavily on custom tuners...

The H&S and spartan platforms are a lot more user friendly. They both allow for stock tuning with deletes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honestly the x4 is the most versatile but relies heavily on custom tuners...

The H&S and spartan platforms are a lot more user friendly. They both allow for stock tuning with deletes.
The pre loaded tunes are good without the deletes ? and than you just need custom ones to do the deletes ? ( on the x4 )

·
Registered
32 Posts
The pre loaded tunes are good without the deletes ? and than you just need custom ones to do the deletes ? ( on the x4 )
Yeah. I bought the x4 before I was able to do the delete. Tuned my truck with the canned tunes that come on it just for fun. A month later got my straight pipe and emailed river city diesel for some custom tunes (allowed truck to run deleted). Did the delete. Put the custom tune on the truck and been runnin ever since.

·
Registered
103 Posts
What would be the benefits of lets say "modifying" the stock exhaust, running an sct and then putting a 4" or 5" dpf back dual exhaust on the truck. Basically having a straight pipe exhaust but not having a true 5" pipe the whole way back. Would that give it a throatier sound than the stock 3.5" the whole way back?

currently run a modified stock exhaust and sct but don't know if buying a 5" dpf back dual kit will do me much benefit for sound. would sure look kool tho!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I purchased a gearboxz tuner about a year ago to delete the dpf sysytem. Now I have a exhaust manifold leak (2 broken stud bolts). While the cab is off I'm taking the egr system off. (Sinister egr delete with high flow intake) I called gearboxz office and they claim my tuner is capable of deleting the egr system. Am I being fooled? He did send me a new updated software file to download.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I purchased a gearboxz tuner about a year ago to delete the dpf sysytem. Now I have a exhaust manifold leak (2 broken stud bolts). While the cab is off I'm taking the egr system off. (Sinister egr delete with high flow intake) I called gearboxz office and they claim my tuner is capable of deleting the egr system. Am I being fooled? He did send me a new updated software file to download.
This is true. You can do block off plates and that is it. You would need a different tuner such as the spartan, sct, or H&S to fully delete it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello, I have an SCT x4 with all the custom tunes on there. Can I just do the dpf delete and then set a custom tune? I'm planning on doing the egr delete a little bit later, I just wanted to make sure I can do one without the other? Thanks

1 - 18 of 18 Posts