Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to do a DEF delete but leave the stock CAT and muffler on the truck. I know I will have to tune as well. I plan to stay at stock HP with a stock intake. My goal is to lose the DPF but keep the quiet exhaust and still pass emissions for Nashville TN. (they plug into OBD long as you dont have a check engine you are good, they don't know what to look for when it comes to the visual test) I don't want to blow smoke just dont want fuel in my oil and waste fuel during a regen. Truck has plenty of power now for my needs.

Has anyone done just a DPF delete? Pros or cons?

thanks

· Premium Member
1,577 Posts
There are pipes out there that will do this, they typically cost more than the CAT/DPF combo pipes due to the flange design. Either way though you will still need the correct tuning to pair with the pipe, you can't just remove the DPF without the proper tuning. And even still it will smoke if you throttle it to heavy.

· Premium Member
1,577 Posts
It won't smoke on low power settings. I TRIED on +40 Spartan and couldn't even get a puff of smoke.

Also even with a 5" straight pipe my truck is still quiet. You could get by with just a muffler and it will still be very quiet.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
A straight piped 6.4 is quiet period, the exhaust having to pass through two turbine housings and turbine wheels is more than enough to muffle the 6.4 . Mine and every other deleted 6.4 I have driven smokes even on the no power added setting.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys, the main thing is I don't want her to smoke when I am pulling out of the emissions testing bay! I think I am going to leave the cat on and just do a DPF delete, then I can still pass a visual inspection. My truck even now 100% stock still gives a small puff, I just dont want to fog for bugs like I see the guys on youtube do!!

· Registered
1,378 Posts
As long as you aren't mashing the throttle to the floor you won't see any smoke. If you drive sensibly you probably won't even see any. I run the hd300 on hot and at light throttle I have none.

· Registered
236 Posts
Just don't punch it out the bay, cause I have an DPF-r tuner no extra HP and my truck blows smoke when I start to hit the throttle heavy.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just don't punch it out the bay, cause I have an DPF-r tuner no extra HP and my truck blows smoke when I start to hit the throttle heavy.
Are you still running the stock muffler and tailpipe? Noticed any higher engine noise inside the cab?

· Registered
236 Posts
I still got the muffler and stock tailpipe. It's loud outside my truck,but inside its stock quiet.

· Registered
1,333 Posts
I'm not sure how much the cat will help with catching the soot, as that's the point of the DPF. Considering you can run DPF delete tunes with the cat still on tells me the cat it porous enough to let the exhaust flow as it should, so I'm betting it wont catch much soot. With my H&S set on stock (no power) It doesn't smoke with normal driving, and I have a straight pipe from the turbo back.

· Registered
2,646 Posts
I want to do a DEF delete but leave the stock CAT and muffler on the truck. I know I will have to tune as well. I plan to stay at stock HP with a stock intake. My goal is to lose the DPF but keep the quiet exhaust and still pass emissions for Nashville TN. (they plug into OBD long as you dont have a check engine you are good, they don't know what to look for when it comes to the visual test) I don't want to blow smoke just dont want fuel in my oil and waste fuel during a regen. Truck has plenty of power now for my needs.

Has anyone done just a DPF delete? Pros or cons?

thanks
There are pipes out there that will do this, they typically cost more than the CAT/DPF combo pipes due to the flange design. Either way though you will still need the correct tuning to pair with the pipe, you can't just remove the DPF without the proper tuning. And even still it will smoke if you throttle it to heavy.
Thought this was pretty funny... Guessing PTP overlooked that he knew this already?

· Registered
1,378 Posts
At what HP tune do you recommend upgrading to a CAI? I plan to stay at a stock setting or maybe 70hp tune at most.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
You'll be fine with the stock system. I've read a few times of people saying its good up to around 500hp. I've been running mine with just a drop in AFE and even running the hd300 I don't really have any issues unless I put it to the floor.

· Premium Member
1,686 Posts
If they plug into the OBD connector, they're likely checking to see if the OBD monitors have completed, or to see if a P1000 is present.

Just something you might want to look into before you bet all the marbles on passing with the truck tuned/deleted.

Also - the DPF only delete pipes don't really blend into the rest of the exhaust system, they stick out pretty good. "HEY, SOMETHING USED TO BE HERE!" LOL. It won't be hard to train the inspectors what to look for, I mean, there's 3 brands of pickup truck that use this type of emissions system, it wouldn't be hard to get pictures of each for the inspector to compare it to.

You might look for a junk/used DPF somewhere and hollow it out if you're going to go that route.

Just something to keep in mind.

· Premium Member
1,686 Posts
You'll be fine with the stock system. I've read a few times of people saying its good up to around 500hp. I've been running mine with just a drop in AFE and even running the hd300 I don't really have any issues unless I put it to the floor.
My truck runs 13.0's @ 8500lbs and I have a drop-in AFE, and it doesn't suck the minder in.

· Registered
1,378 Posts
My truck runs 13.0's @ 8500lbs and I have a drop-in AFE, and it doesn't suck the minder in.
I've also had a couple situations where it didnt suck it in as well. Do you have any plans of installing a CAI or are you just going to leave it alone?

· Registered
19 Posts
My experience with emissions with Mini Maxx tune loaded...tech plugged into ODB port, received communications failure, he shrugged his shoulders and performed a smoke opacity test, which I passed.

I share this only to point out that if you have the same experience with the communication failure as I did, not sure your tester will pass you. He/she may tell you to fix the communications error and come back. So then you go home and put it all back to stock...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.