Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my DPF Delete pipe, it's a 4" pipe. Is there any special tools that are needed. I did the whole inspection thing and can see that the 8 bolts on the DPF are easy to remove but the sensor looks like its a b**ch to get out with out having the truck up on a lift. I got under the truck and used a wrench to try to get the sensor off but it felt like the sensor was going to break off and I didn't want to damage it so I stopped and jumped online to ask the pros. What is the easiest way to get the sensor off w/out using a lift? I sprayed some stuff to loosen the bolt up but that didn't work either. I'm going to give it another go after I hear some advice if it doesn't work there's a mom & pops muffler shop down the street from my house that'll do it for me.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
take the bolts out , just unplug the sensors , take the pipe out and you should be able to get the sensors out easier with the pipe off the truck, i have had several that were very tight , felt like threads were gonna come out with the sensor , they for some reason get tight

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take the bolts out , just unplug the sensors , take the pipe out and you should be able to get the sensors out easier with the pipe off the truck, i have had several that were very tight , felt like threads were gonna come out with the sensor , they for some reason get tight
Unplug the sensor??! Exactly from where?? So you're saying to unplug the sensor, remove the dpf, then remove the sensor thread?

Hate to sound like an idiot :tard:. I've worked on cars before but never messed w/stuff like this. And when I say worked on cars I mean the small maintenance stuff and helping my dad when he had his 68' Camaro.

·
Premium Member
9,392 Posts
Unplug the sensor??! Exactly from where?? So you're saying to unplug the sensor, remove the dpf, then remove the sensor thread?

Hate to sound like an idiot :tard:. I've worked on cars before but never messed w/stuff like this. And when I say worked on cars I mean the small maintenance stuff and helping my dad when he had his 68' Camaro.
the sensors are threaded into the dpf , if you follow the wires there is a connector right at the bottom of the body , unplug the sensor , then drop off the pipe and get it out where you can get to the sensors

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the sensors are threaded into the dpf , if you follow the wires there is a connector right at the bottom of the body , unplug the sensor , then drop off the pipe and get it out where you can get to the sensors
Got it! I'll go take a look at it right now. Luckily I'm in Southern Cali and there's still some light out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
good luck, they arent that bad to do
Thanks! :thumb: By unplugging the harness I can see how easy it is. Unfortunately I ran out of light and I'm going to wait until tomorrow to do it :doh:. Let's see if I can get some sleep tonight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will a 4" DPF delete pipe fit with the stock exhaust? I have a 4" exhaust on order but I'm not expecting it to arrive until early next week so I want to install the DPF delete. I'm trying to figure out if I need any adapters.

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Will a 4" DPF delete pipe fit with the stock exhaust? I have a 4" exhaust on order but I'm not expecting it to arrive until early next week so I want to install the DPF delete. I'm trying to figure out if I need any adapters.

Thanks for the help.
Its been awhile but I know the end of the DPF is 3.5", if there is an adapter on the end of the DPF to the stock exhaust where is looks like it gets bigger like 3.5" to 4" adapter then you should have no problem.......but if the exhaust looks like its the same size as the DPF then it is a 3.5" pipe :nod:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its been awhile but I know the end of the DPF is 3.5", if there is an adapter on the end of the DPF to the stock exhaust where is looks like it gets bigger like 3.5" to 4" adapter then you should have no problem.......but if the exhaust looks like its the same size as the DPF then it is a 3.5" pipe :nod:
The exhaust pipe that connects to the DPF is slightly bigger So I'm guessing its a 3.5" end on the DPF and 4" beginning on the exhaust in order for it to fit. If that's the case then I will need to buy an adapter.

Anybody out there that has a 4" DPF delete connected to a stock exhaust?

·
Registered
589 Posts
as far as special tools you might want to have a 13mm line wrench for the sensors and just a little bit of heat helps a LOT. mine were increadibly tight as well. hope this helps

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as far as special tools you might want to have a 13mm line wrench for the sensors and just a little bit of heat helps a LOT. mine were increadibly tight as well. hope this helps
I was working on it yesterday and for the life of me I could not get the sensor off. How did you heat it up w/out damaging the sensor?

·
Registered
589 Posts
heat the bung the sensor is in it looks like it may be bronze. i wouldnt put anything on it but an ACTUAL LINE WRENCH you'll round it off if its that tight. not a lot of heat i would suggest an actual torch not propane and the sensor is made to handle heat so you should be safe.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
heat the bung the sensor is in it looks like it may be bronze. i wouldnt put anything on it but an ACTUAL LINE WRENCH you'll round it off if its that tight. not a lot of heat i would suggest an actual torch not propane and the sensor is made to handle heat so you should be safe.
I tried a regular nut wrench and that just wouldn't do the job. I stopped after the 3rd try since I didn't want to round it out. I guess I'll go buy some line wrenches today and try it with that. Thanks!:thumb:

·
Registered
119 Posts
I've heard of people breaking them off, and then having to go
and buy new ones. One guy just chose to leave the sensor in
and buy a new one for the replacement pipe ...

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've heard of people breaking them off, and then having to go
and buy new ones. One guy just chose to leave the sensor in
and buy a new one for the replacement pipe ...
Not a bad idea but how much do they run?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Good question. I haven't had to find out ... yet. If you go
that route, be sure to post up the price and part number :)

·
Registered
589 Posts
just heat the pipe it will come out with a lin wrench i did the whole converter and dpf delete so i had to pull 4 out.

·
Registered
119 Posts
2 in the DOC and 1 in the DPF. Where did you pull the 4th one from?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts