Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i have a 2008 f-350 KR 6.4 with 4.10's, im currently getting 10mpg no matter what i do, how i drive or what i pull. I have a buddy that works as a service manager for ford and has assured me in writing that ford will warenty my truck with a dpf delete and a tuner. So my question is, what tuners work to turn off the active regin and who makes a dpf delete, and where can i get one. What are the mpgs gained. Im not looking for performance, just economy, i drive so much that 2-3 mpgs would help me alot. I got the truck 3 months a go and already have 20k on it.
Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
387 Posts
You've got three options, SCT, Spartan, or BADP.

I've had the SCT LiveWire on my truck for 30,000 miles now with no problems, and over 5,000 miles with the DPF delete. I take it very easy driving my truck, and at 65 mph I will normally see 19-20 mpg.

Try calling Bill @ dfuser.com, best customer service I've had in a long time. The cost of the entire set-up depends on what options you want. You're gonna need the tuner, DPF or DPF/Cat delete pipe, and rear exhaust set-up depending on the size of your delete pipe.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You've got three options, SCT, Spartan, or BADP.

I've had the SCT LiveWire on my truck for 30,000 miles now with no problems, and over 5,000 miles with the DPF delete. I take it very easy driving my truck, and at 65 mph I will normally see 19-20 mpg.

Try calling Bill @ dfuser.com, best customer service I've had in a long time. The cost of the entire set-up depends on what options you want. You're gonna need the tuner, DPF or DPF/Cat delete pipe, and rear exhaust set-up depending on the size of your delete pipe.
I also have the SCT LiveWire and also purchased from Bill at dfuser.com. I can honestly say he has the best customer service without a doubt. I called around to a few places that sell the SCT livewire and the related dpf/doc delete and always got some answering service, with no return phone call. Bill seems to always answer the phone, he's prompt on shipping, he's been around quite a few years and gave me a helluva good price on my LiveWire extreme. I ordered on a Monday and it arrived on a Weds.

When it arrived he said to call him and he would walk me through updating the device from SCT and installing the software on my PC - and he did just that. Took about 20 minutes to download and install everything and update the SCT livewire from the Internet. He even walked me thru tuning the truck afterwards. I had zero issues with the whole process. I will purchase from him again with no hesitation.

If you go the route with an entire dpf/doc delete I think the best deal is powerstroker67's delete pipe, write him for a price.. but you'll find its just slightly more expensive than most other places DPF delete only.. AND the damn thing just fits perfectly with no rattles or anything - good heavy steel, quality welds and its just made well.

Just my $0.02 cents worth.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I would also like to echo the previous post, I will buy from Bill again. It is like anything nowadays, you can buy it from several different places but it boils down to customer service, and Bill DELIVERS!!! Thanks Bill.

Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool, i'm in Atlanta and actualy found a company that sells sct, but no body sells a dpf delete or doc delete pipe. NONE of the diesel shops here don't want any thing to do with a 6.4, and its kinda anoying, but hey what can you do

·
Registered
387 Posts
The SCT dealer should be able to get the delete pipe from SCT. If not I am willing to sell my 5" Cat back DPF delete pipe a lot cheaper than you can find them anywhere else. PM me if interested. I only used it for a week until my full replacement came in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
sat 052408
dear soundmanford,
by now you have probably fixed up your truck and taken care of your problem.
i have the sct livewire with the 6.4 program. i am only a moderate mechanic but i replaced my dpf with a straight pipe. the regin has automatically quit. with no pressure difference in the sensors just before and after the filter, the trucks computer doesnt get called on to regin. my computer milage doesnt seem to have changed very much (perhaps 1.5 mpg) but since the fuel doesnt get dumped at regin time, i think i will get more miles per tank full.
does this all make sense? great luck!
please email me at my personal email address if youd like.
sincerely,
mark turik
[email protected]

·
Registered
48 Posts
sat 052408
dear soundmanford,
by now you have probably fixed up your truck and taken care of your problem.
i have the sct livewire with the 6.4 program. i am only a moderate mechanic but i replaced my dpf with a straight pipe. the regin has automatically quit. with no pressure difference in the sensors just before and after the filter, the trucks computer doesnt get called on to regin. my computer milage doesnt seem to have changed very much (perhaps 1.5 mpg) but since the fuel doesnt get dumped at regin time, i think i will get more miles per tank full.
does this all make sense? great luck!
please email me at my personal email address if youd like.
sincerely,
mark turik
[email protected]
So you are saying that you don't have the dfp delete tune...and took off the dpf and the truck has never went back into regen..Please tell me more:bump:

·
Registered
7 Posts
tues. 052708
hi,
yes, i installed my dpf delete pipe on fri night and sat installed the sct livewire 6.4l tune and sct egt probe.

if you monitor the dpf regin on the sct, it should stay at 0.0 if there is no regineration. it has never changed out of the non regin mode that i know of.

there are 2 probes that measure pressure that affects this. one if just before the dpf and one is just after the dpf.

normally when there is a clogged dpf my truck dumps fuel into the exhaust system with burns really hot in the dpf to clear it out. this is caused by the two sensors having different pressure readings due to the clogged up filter. when the filter has been burned out the exhaust flow is back to normal, there is not much of a pressure difference from before and after the dpf.

with the delete pipe in place of the dpf filter the pressure sensors always read just about the same (since now there is a straignt pipe in place of where the dpf was.

sooooooo,,,,,,, no pressure difference between the two sensor probes ------ no regineration.

my thinking is the you will still get the same mpg rating from your trucks computer, but with no waisting fuel for regineration, you will go further on the same tank of gas. effectively giving you more distance with the same amount of fuel. does this make sense to you. this is my own theory and i am not a jenious for sure. plus, you definitely have less exhaust resistance with the dpf swapped out for a straight pipe. i

if you decide to try this i will be glad to share my compete experience with you.

other things that i think are important are to be sure your air pressure in all 4 tires is proper and equal in all wheels.

also clean you air filter or better yet invest in a larger cold air intake.

please contact me at my personal email if youd like.
[email protected]

this has turned out more of necessity instead of just a fun project. cost of fuel is really hard to take. i drive 75 miles 5 days a week to raleigh for martial arts training. thank the good lord that i am a dentist and can still afford the cost.

sincerely,
mark turik

·
Registered
105 Posts
tues. 052708
hi,
yes, i installed my dpf delete pipe on fri night and sat installed the sct livewire 6.4l tune and sct egt probe.

if you monitor the dpf regin on the sct, it should stay at 0.0 if there is no regineration. it has never changed out of the non regin mode that i know of.

there are 2 probes that measure pressure that affects this. one if just before the dpf and one is just after the dpf.

normally when there is a clogged dpf my truck dumps fuel into the exhaust system with burns really hot in the dpf to clear it out. this is caused by the two sensors having different pressure readings due to the clogged up filter. when the filter has been burned out the exhaust flow is back to normal, there is not much of a pressure difference from before and after the dpf.

with the delete pipe in place of the dpf filter the pressure sensors always read just about the same (since now there is a straignt pipe in place of where the dpf was.

sooooooo,,,,,,, no pressure difference between the two sensor probes ------ no regineration.

my thinking is the you will still get the same mpg rating from your trucks computer, but with no waisting fuel for regineration, you will go further on the same tank of gas. effectively giving you more distance with the same amount of fuel. does this make sense to you. this is my own theory and i am not a jenious for sure. plus, you definitely have less exhaust resistance with the dpf swapped out for a straight pipe. i

if you decide to try this i will be glad to share my compete experience with you.

other things that i think are important are to be sure your air pressure in all 4 tires is proper and equal in all wheels.

[email protected]

this has turned out more of necessity instead of just a fun project. cost of fuel is really hard to take. i drive 75 miles 5 days a week to raleigh for martial arts training. thank the good lord that i am a dentist and can still afford the cost.

sincerely,
mark turik

Does any of those Changes affect the warranty?

·
Registered
61 Posts
:popcorn2::popcorn2: :look: :popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
I read in a thread that a guy did dpf delete, with no tuner. And after a tank or two of fuel, the truck automaticaly went into regen mode. As a fail safe, even though the pressure sensors were reading the same...how many miles have you gone since the delete?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have been reading a lot of threads on this site. Your 10 mpg is not too far from what I have been getting. I have a F450 with 4.88 gears and have added a Gear Vendors splitter (equivlent ratio ~3.9), and just went camping this weekend hauling a 11' camper and trailer with 5 horses; total load around 26K-28K. The lie-o-meter showed 7.4 mpg, which is usually about 10% high over hand calculated. This is my second trip at about the same mpg. Generally I get around 11 mpg. The best empty I have made are about 12 @ 70mph and about 15 @ 60mph. Before the splitter the same trip I got 12 mpg was about 9.5 mpg.

Anyone hauling this much load have a DPF delete tune and if so what changes if fuel economy and what brand.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I'll tell you this my Edge W/Attitude is giving my wife 19-20mpg on the hwy and we still have all the dpf stuff on the truck.:woot:

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
tues. 052708
hi,

[email protected]

sincerely,
mark turik
Sorry Mark, but its already been done.......I did it a year ago and I can tell you right now that your heading down a dead end with just removing the DPF and monitoring it. Thats not going to work, you need to a regen delete program. There aren't 2 pressure sensors, there is only one. The other three sensors are nothing more than EGT sensors that monitor the exhaust during regen mode. You will be able to drive the truck for a couple hundred miles without the DPF, but then the truck will know that it hasn't seen a regen and as a fail safe it will go into regen by itself. I would know, my truck was stuck in regen for close to 3 months. Regen isn't based on just pressure or EGTs, there are a whole bunch of different parameters that need to be taken into account......it was put to me like this.....compared the 6.0 or 7.3 computers, the 6.4's could probably control the space shuttle :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
thanks for the explanation.

fri am 053008
hi julian,
thank you for the explanation!!! on the regin issue. could you recommend a "no regin" tune for me? i payed $4.73 for fuel yesterday. if my truck goes into regin, i will have to sell something big! you can reply to my personal email if youd like. [email protected]

like the picture of your truck,,,, and the smoke.

sincerely,
mark

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
fri am 053008
hi julian,
thank you for the explanation!!! on the regin issue. could you recommend a "no regin" tune for me? i payed $4.73 for fuel yesterday. if my truck goes into regin, i will have to sell something big! you can reply to my personal email if youd like. [email protected]

like the picture of your truck,,,, and the smoke.

sincerely,
mark
Yeah there are three right now......
Spartan diesel
Innovative
Bay Area Diesel Performance or BADP

·
Registered
7 Posts
ecomomy tunes

hi julian,

i looked at Spartan diesel, Innovative, and Bay Area Diesel Performance for an economy tune for my livewire. i am not finding one. do you have one for sale? i really appreciate your direction!
sincerely,
mark turi

1 - 20 of 35 Posts