Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my DP tuner F5 switch. Everything runs great except when I put it back to the stock tune, the RPM's drop really low like it is going to stall then jumps back up. What could cause this? Also, on my 140 aggressive setting I get no smoke at all. I know i shouldnt get that much because I don't have injectors but I figured I should get some smoke but I dont. Does anyone know why this is? I appreciate any response, I want the smoke! lol.

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,307 Posts
First of all please fill out your sig with all the mods you have done. Your symptoms are those of a loose chip, or contacts that aren't cleaned enough. I recommend going back and re cleaning the contacts and make sure the chip is secure in the PCM. Do you know what black smoke is a result of? UNBURNT Fuel and it isn't a good thing, even though many like it. You didn't say what other tunes you have, will it smoke in any of them? Try lugging the engine and then nail it, should roll the coal then. Are you getting the SES after 7 sec of WOT? You should be. Do you have gauges? What are your boost levels?

NCH

·
Registered
69 Posts
No smoke on the 140 setting? I've only got the 120 setting and my truck blows smoke like crazy! I would call Jody. And as for the rpm drop when returning it back to stock, is it just for a second then it clears up? Mine does this to, but I never worried about because it's just for a second then it returns back to idle the way it should.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are my mods in the signature. The RPM's do only drop for maybe 2 seconds max then back up to normal. I guess that is normal. Do you think that having the contacts not clean enough could be causing it not to smoke?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
First of all please fill out your sig with all the mods you have done. Your symptoms are those of a loose chip, or contacts that aren't cleaned enough. I recommend going back and re cleaning the contacts and make sure the chip is secure in the PCM. Do you know what black smoke is a result of? UNBURNT Fuel and it isn't a good thing, even though many like it. You didn't say what other tunes you have, will it smoke in any of them? Try lugging the engine and then nail it, should roll the coal then. Are you getting the SES after 7 sec of WOT? You should be. Do you have gauges? What are your boost levels?

NCH
Hey NCHornet, I got a SES light during WOT. Light still on after 2 months. Didn't know what to do about it. What caused it.

Sorry for slight derailment of topic:dunno:

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
The SES light coming on is a result of an overboost code. This happens at about 24psi (factory preset) The SES light comes on and the truck defuels. The light should go off after a few minutes of normal driving though. Do you have anything to read/clear codes with?

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Forgot about the origonal poster. :O
It sounds like the chip isn't seated properly to me too. Take it out, clean the contacts, and make sure it is in there good. Use a piece of tape on the end of it also. This may not fix your smoke issue though. After doing this, and you're still having problems, I would get in touch with Jody directly. My stock setting does not idle funny for any period of time...that is not normal.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
The SES light coming on is a result of an overboost code. This happens at about 24psi (factory preset) The SES light comes on and the truck defuels. The light should go off after a few minutes of normal driving though. Do you have anything to read/clear codes with?
No! I don't. Light came on 3rd day I had chip.

And mine idles fine in stock tune also

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
That's strange that it is still on?

Did it come on when you were at WOT?

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Yes, WOT right before I backed off. So by coincidence didn't experence the defueling if that was abut to happen. Ben running as it should the whole time.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Thats when it should have gone on...but it should be off by now too. :shrug:

Probably should get the codes read on it to start.

·
Registered
517 Posts
My idle never drops, acts as it should when I return to stock. I can puff black smoke without even trying on 80 econo and can make anything behind me disappear in a black cloud on 140. I hope you have gauges cause the egt's rise very fast on 140. I'm not into the smoke either, makes the wallet hurt more than it already does.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
The reason for the drop in idle when you go to stock is due to timing and ICP in the performance tunes. It happens in every truck I have been in with a flip chip, mine included.

The guy with SES light needs to have the codes read so we can help.

·
Registered
272 Posts
my idle drops for a second after running in 140, even tho i ahvent ran that tune since a week or so after i got the chip, cant afford to watch my gas gauge drop as i make that anoyying honda civic dissapear behind me

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,307 Posts
I doubt the SES light is from overboost, the vast majority of the time it will be a 1211 code, get the codes read to be sure. I have never set a over boost code, but I don't run mine past 24-25 ftlbs. The 1211 code is triggered because the injectors are calling for more oil pressure than what the stock HPOP can deliver. When this parameter is exceeded for more than 7 sec it will set the light. Nothing wrong or broken. The only way to keep it from happening is Big Oil which is Big $$$$$!!! Most just live with it. The light usually goes out after a few minutes of driving. You really need to have your codes read to know what is going on, otherwise all you are getting here is guesses. Remember the code readers at the auto parts stores won't read our trucks as we aren't OBD11 complaint. Find someone with a superchips or other programmer that is close to you to have the codes read. A snap-on or Mac scanner should also read it with the proper software. If you are close to me I will read them for FREE.

NCH

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.