Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read hundreds of threads about tuners/performance/mpg and they all seem to say the same thing, so I figured what the hell I'll start my own tuner thread.

My truck:
-AFE top replacement with their ****ty paper filter because they screwed up my order.(I thought I was getting a hell of a deal price wise)
-Straight pipe
6-speed, 4x4, crew cab, dually (with no tune I would get and no heavy load 10-15 mpg)
-just a couple days old DP-tuner with stock, 1200 idle, 20 tow, and 80 econo
-no gauges, I don't really want them either but I might brake down and get some. I just don't want to look like one of those diesel **** that run around the cities(Dont hate :beer:)

My truck smokes like a frieght train, which seems like a waste of fuel to me. I don't mind some smoke when you really get on it but I can puff a steady stream of smoke at school bus take-off speed(slow as hell). Is that normal? Can I improve my intake set up to cut down on some smoke? What intake set up would be consider best for this truck? I'm thinking about cutting out the airbox on the fender side and maybe do the AFE torqe tube(seems like a waste at $100 though).

Also would 4in exhaust be a good idea? I'm not necessarily looking for more power but with the new tuner I figure my EGT was raised quite a bit. I put it on stock when I tow anything heavy.

Sorry for the long read, and thanks in advance:thumb:

*edit- If any body sees this thread I am in no way unsatisfied with the company or the tunes. DP-tuner is miles above any other products I have tried, ie superchips, hypersomething-or-another, and edge products.

·
Registered
659 Posts
diesels smoke when you lug them no matter what the chip setting is.this is because you do not have enough air at low rpms to burn the fuel.black smoke is partially burnt fuel.has nothing to do with the intake.if you want less smoke you either need to drop the chip or get a bigger turbo.and if you chip a diesel you have to have a good exuast or you will burn up that turbo.and one other thing us **** use gauges for a reason not only to look cool but that is a plus to.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I shouldn't of put that, I just don't like the look because with them everybody tries to race me. and this truck is slow as hell. :noteworthy:

Wouldn't a better intake let it have more air at lower RPMs? also will this low RPM black smoke get less MPG than factory? I can live with it for as long as fuel milage ain't suffering.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
I have read hundreds of threads about tuners/performance/mpg and they all seem to say the same thing, so I figured what the hell I'll start my own tuner thread.

My truck:
-AFE top replacement with their ****ty paper filter because they screwed up my order.(I thought I was getting a hell of a deal price wise)
-Straight pipe
6-speed, 4x4, crew cab, dually (with no tune I would get and no heavy load 10-15 mpg)
-no gauges, I don't really want them either but I might brake down and get some.[highlight] I just don't want to look like one of those diesel **** that run around the cities[/highlight](Dont hate :beer:)

My truck smokes like a frieght train, which seems like a waste of fuel to me. I don't mind some smoke when you really get on it but I can puff a steady stream of smoke at school bus take-off speed(slow as hell). Is that normal? Can I improve my intake set up to cut down on some smoke? What intake set up would be consider best for this truck? I'm thinking about cutting out the airbox on the fender side and maybe do the AFE torqe tube(seems like a waste at $100 though).

Also would 4in exhaust be a good idea? I'm not necessarily looking for more power but with the new tuner [highlight]I figure my EGT was raised quite a bit.[/highlight] I put it on stock when I tow anything heavy.

I think that first comment takes a lot of balls to say...especially here.

If Monitering what my truck is doing, and how my mods are affecting my truck makes me a diesel ***.........well then :supergay:

As for the second highlighted comment...If you had gauges, you wouldn't have to guess...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
seriously yall calm down... Would I be driving a diesel If I didn't understand how much better they go up and down the road? We have gotten by for many years pulling just as big of loads with gassers from the 60's and 70's I consider a diesel a luxury... that I enjoy too.

Also another reason for wanting to reduce the smoke but keep the performance( which I like ALOT) is that now every dude in a modded diesel wants to race me once they see my slow smokey take off. This normally ends up with me eating a huge cload of partially burnt diesel, as my truck ain't no damn race truck.

·
Registered
659 Posts
it is not the intake it is the turbo.the motor is not spinning fast enough to get the air in.and yes black smoke is wasted money and makes high egts

·
Premium Member
677 Posts

My truck:
-Straight pipe
-no gauges, I don't really want them either but I might brake down and get some. I just don't want to look like one of those diesel **** that run around the cities(Dont hate :beer:)

Also would 4in exhaust be a good idea? I'm not necessarily looking for more power but with the new tuner I figure my EGT was raised quite a bit. I put it on stock when I tow anything heavy.

BroncoJoe,

Send your chip back and tell Jody to pull out some fuel.

Thanks,

Diane

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I'll be ordering some damn gauges, all my other trucks are "gauged up" so this one might as well be too. I guess since mines a manuel just a boost and exhaust temp will do?

Back to my main concern is there any way to cut down on the smoke without affecting economy that I hear is so great with this tune?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BroncoJoe,

Send your chip back and tell Jody to pull out some fuel.

Thanks,

Diane
I was hoping there was something I could do to fix it, If it comes to it I will probably send it back to get re-tuned.

*** If any body sees this thread I am in no way unsatisfied with the company or the tunes. DP-tuner is miles above any other products I have tried, ie superchips, hypersomething-or-another, and edge products.

·
Premium Member
6,018 Posts
Smoke is too much fuel and not enough air. If you don't want to remove the fuel like Diane stated, then find a way to get more air in. Simple as that. It really shouldn't be smoking that much to annoy you though. Unless something else is wrong, did you blow an ic boot? :shrug: clogged filter? Clean the filter and do the Zoodad.

And don't worry about me~i'm calm :D

·
Registered
497 Posts

My truck:
-Straight pipe
-no gauges, I really want them because i should be monitoring my temps because im an idiot for not having them already!!! I want to look like one of those smart diesel drivers that run around the cities(Dont hate :beer:)

*edit- If any body sees this thread I am in no way unsatisfied with the company or the tunes. DP-tuner is miles above any other products I have tried, ie superchips, hypersomething-or-another, and edge products.
All i have to say is WOW at that comment. You have a diesel with a chip and you arent monitoring your temps??? here i fixed it for you actually.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
Reason to get gauges... First one is with a superchips tuner... Second one is my fault but still...

Attachments

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
I guess I'll be ordering some damn gauges, all my other trucks are "gauged up" so this one might as well be too. I guess since mines a manuel just a boost and exhaust temp will do?

Back to my main concern is there any way to cut down on the smoke without affecting economy that I hear is so great with this tune?

You did your mods all wrong... Adding fuel to the fire is the last thing to do.

Get some gauges, at this point you dont know if there is a problem with your truck or the tunes (doubtful)

Get a good intake, be it an AFE stage 2 or a Tymar copy.

Get a 4" turbo back exhaust system.

Then throw a tuner at it... With Hybrid injectors, intake, exhaust, turbo, and a few other things I can run at the 360-380 hp range with nothing more then a haze.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You did your mods all wrong... Adding fuel to the fire is the last thing to do.

Get some gauges, at this point you dont know if there is a problem with your truck or the tunes (doubtful)

Get a good intake, be it an AFE stage 2 or a Tymar copy.

Get a 4" turbo back exhaust system.

Then throw a tuner at it... With Hybrid injectors, intake, exhaust, turbo, and a few other things I can run at the 360-380 hp range with nothing more then a haze.
Is the Tymar the DIY intake? If it is I have not been very impressed with that. The AFE stage 2 is alot of money for not much, I just cant stand the 100 bucks for the torqe tube or what ever they call it. I will probably start modifying the intake tomorrow and order the better filter. And the filter is currently clean.

I've read alot of mixed opinons about the 4in exhaust, I wouldn't figure it would hurt so I might just go ahead an order a kit.

I don't feel I have done my mods wrong. I replaced the crappy square filter to keep from dusting the motor, then cut out the muffler to lower turbo temp. This has been my get in, turn-key, no-worries truck but now with fuel prices steadily increasing I'm trying something different, I would rather give my money to someone state side(supporting the economy here by buying the chip and so-on) rather than the 130+ barrel of oil.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
What's not to like about the tymar? There is no issue with under hood temps, filters better then the stock filter and flows more air then about any intake on the market.

What kind of "mixed" reviews have you gotten about exhaust systems?

The TQ tube you talk about is a waste, do the tymar or get the stage 2.

You really need to get at least a pyro in there asap, you have no idea what your egt's are. Also, without a base line to know what your mods are doing, you don't know if the problem lies with the chip or your truck.

You could have boots leaking, up pipes leaking, the tunes you have should smoke very little. Even if lugged in the 80 it should not cloud anything out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I assume that tymar is DIY intake. I read on here that while tymar does flow alot better than stock it doesn't flow as much as the AFE cone filters. Also from personal experience they seem to dirty up faster. Theorectically I would figure that the protection from motor heat would be benificial too.

I have also read on here that 4in actualy slightly hurts a minor moded truck, I wouldn't think that even if it did hurt you would be able to notice it. Which 4in. exhaust is better or do yall recomend? I'm looking for cheap and easy. Are the stainless kits on ebay any god? maybe farm boys diesel?

As far as gauges does the auto meter, 2-pod cluster that goes around the factory cluster fit well? Auto Meter 15003 - Auto Meter Instrument Cluster Bezels - summitracing.com

And will auto-meter gauges be good enough or should I look for isspro? looks like from summit the gauges and pod doo-hicky will run me 249 + shipping do any vendors on here want to compete with that?

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I knew I shouldn't of put that, I just don't like the look because with them everybody tries to race me. and this truck is slow as hell. :noteworthy:

Wouldn't a better intake let it have more air at lower RPMs? also will this low RPM black smoke get less MPG than factory? I can live with it for as long as fuel milage ain't suffering.
I got more people trying to race me before I got the gauges. :dunno: I figured when they seen the gauges, they got scared. :hehe::hehe::hehe:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts