Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anybody had this problem i have a dp tuner with 40 hp tow 80 hp eco and 140hp smoke but i seem to get more gas mileage with the 140 and idk if thats right. i mean i wouldnt care to run around on that setting but my egts get high when im just cruiseing around.

can anybody tell me if im crazy or what

·
Ole White
5,253 Posts
I have the DP also but don't run in the 140 enough to know if the mpg is better but I know on the 6.0's like my dad's 07 he runs the SCT with DJ's Looney tune which is a hot tune and he gets the best mpg in that setting I would think its a good possibility that DP's 140 is the same way.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
but why thats so weird. if i knew that i would of got 120 race or something. i only got the 80 to save some money

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have a TS chip and on the extreme tune I get the best milage. I use it as my daily drive setting and get about 18MPG in the city. and 20 MPG on the highway.

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I have the DP tuner, and I don't notice much of a MPG difference between 80, 120, or the 140. I drive on the 80, just because I don't trust myself to stay out of trouble on the 140 and I like the way the 80 shifts over the 120. I don't have any trouble with it getting warm on the high settings though, just too much boost. (I have my wastegate actuator line off....but that's a whole 'nother discussion) I get roughly 17mpg mixed city/highway and about 15mpg on the freeway at 75 or a little more with the truck in my signature.
-Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
i,M NOT A TUNER,BUT I THINK ITS BECAUSE OF TIMING AND ICP PRESURE.
From what I understand, that is pretty much the reason. I have always heard that if you don't use the extra power, you almost always get better mileage from the higher tunes.

-Aaron

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
the more horsepower, doesn't mean you have to use it, the more you have the less your engine has to work

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
good tuning

well i cant leave my chip in the higher settings cause the smoke would be unreal and me living in hawaii all the whale,tree hugers.it sucks.but dont get me wrong i,ll smoke you out but i cant leave it there,in the higher settings.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well i guess ill just use that setting more... i just think thats so weird how i paid for a eco setting and the one i only use to race people gets me better gas milage.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
has anybody had this problem i have a dp tuner with 40 hp tow 80 hp eco and 140hp smoke but i seem to get more gas mileage with the 140 and idk if thats right. i mean i wouldnt care to run around on that setting but my egts get high when im just cruiseing around.

Do you check it by hand or overhead display?
I have the DP tuner, and I don't notice much of a MPG difference between 80, 120, or the 140. I drive on the 80, just because I don't trust myself to stay out of trouble on the 140 and I like the way the 80 shifts over the 120. I don't have any trouble with it getting warm on the high settings though, just too much boost. (I have my wastegate actuator line off....but that's a whole 'nother discussion) I get roughly [highlight]17mpg mixed city/highway and about 15mpg on the freeway at 75[/highlight] or a little more with the truck in my signature.
-Aaron
Is that a typo?

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts

Is that a typo?
Nope...THat is by hand...my speedometer/odometer has been corrected and is within 1-1.5 mph of my GPS. Why what looks weird?

-Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
what is the mods

what do you have for mods.4 inch down pipe would help,afe intake,4 ply filter.and a 6.0 inercooler.18 k chip stack,or get your chip reburned.and bring icp presure up.this should help alittle,I think .dont know what your doing with truck.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Nope...THat is by hand...my speedometer/odometer has been corrected and is within 1-1.5 mph of my GPS. Why what looks weird?

-Aaron
I was asking the other poster I quoted about the hand calc.

I asked you if yours was a typo because you shouldn't see better fuel milage around town than you do on the highway.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
what do you have for mods.4 inch down pipe would help,afe intake,4 ply filter.and a 6.0 inercooler.18 k chip stack,or get your chip reburned.and bring icp presure up.this should help alittle,I think .dont know what your doing with truck.
Eveything but the 18K mod I agree with. Jody maxes out the ICP with what your HPOP will support.

·
John Wood Nut Swinger
3,413 Posts
has anybody had this problem i have a dp tuner with 40 hp tow 80 hp eco and 140hp smoke but i seem to get more gas mileage with the 140 and idk if that's right. i mean i wouldn't care to run around on that setting but my egts get high when im just cruising around.

Your sig says straight piped. You are going to need a high flow exhaust system to drop your EGT's. This is why your egt's are getting so high even at cruising. Also doing the Zoodad mod to get cold/fresh air into the intake will help your EGT's, mine wend down over 100* just by doing this. Since you tow, down the road you might think about a 1.0a/r exhaust housing or 6.0 intercooler to lower your egt's another 100* or so.

Since you said your egt's get high, I will assume you have gauges even though they are not in your sig. Where is your egt probe mounted?

Just for reference, I tow a 10K TT. At 62mph(it is a drone thing) I am right at 1600rpm in OD or 2600 in D. My egts hang out at 900* when in OD and around 650-700* when in D on flat ground towing.

Keep strokin'

·
Premium Member
1,710 Posts
I asked you if yours was a typo because you shouldn't see better fuel milage around town than you do on the highway.
I don't know what is up with that, but it has been like that since I have owned it (about 35,000-40,000 miles) and I have come to accept it as normal. I attribute it to the fact that I have 6 inches of lift and 37" tires so I am pushing quite a bit of air. My mixed driving is mostly at 55-65 for 20-30 miles and stop and go for the other 10-15 miles. (My route back and forth to work every day) I suppose it probably counts as highway, but I just don't ever sit it traffic like some people do. On the freeway though I definitely loose mileage.
-Aaron

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

its by hand all i notice is i get about 300 miles a tank on the 140 hp and with the 80 i only get maybe 250 thats pushing it though

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Your sig says straight piped. You are going to need a high flow exhaust system to drop your EGT's. This is why your egt's are getting so high even at cruising. Also doing the Zoodad mod to get cold/fresh air into the intake will help your EGT's, mine wend down over 100* just by doing this. Since you tow, down the road you might think about a 1.0a/r exhaust housing or 6.0 intercooler to lower your egt's another 100* or so.

Since you said your egt's get high, I will assume you have gauges even though they are not in your sig. Where is your egt probe mounted?

Just for reference, I tow a 10K TT. At 62mph(it is a drone thing) I am right at 1600rpm in OD or 2600 in D. My egts hang out at 900* when in OD and around 650-700* when in D on flat ground towing.

Keep strokin'
your right i think ill do that zoo dad mod this weekend.as for the 1.0 a/r housing will that also get me some more power???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts