Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i installed my mbrp downpipe lastnight and its on a manula truck... so it clears my start on my trans ( had to dent it alittle ) and its rubbing/hitting the firewall alittle its not "tight" aganist but is deffinalty touching.. my next question is this going to be ok touching?? the materail is fire proof correct? maybe alittle raddle? anyone else have this issue?

·
Administrator
21,736 Posts
A lot of people with 4" have a rattle, mine was hitting on the lower cross member others dent the fire wall.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when you refer to a rattle is that when the pipe is interfering with the firewall and vibrates? or just rattles in genral?

·
Administrator
21,736 Posts
First off I am only referring to my experience with my (and others) 6.0s, I can only assume its the same for the 6.4

Yes, rattle, as in tapping the firewall... with my 4" I actually had to cut 1/2 inch off the pipe to get it to sit properly and not hit.

cross member clearance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yea im going to have to dent my pipe i believe just too tight hitting the firewall, going to heat wrap it while its out

·
Administrator
21,736 Posts
The wrap should keep it from rattling
There are theory's about it causing higher EGTs, but I have no first hand info.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea im not really worried about EGT's because i have a stright pipe. also i am more worried about the heat on the firewall then the rattle

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
The wrap should keep it from rattling
There are theory's about it causing higher EGTs, but I have no first hand info.

You bring up a good point!

I have from turbo outlet to DPF wrapped with this 1/2" stuff and no difference in EGT but my DPF only cleans every 450 miles not every 100-150 miles. Helps push that heat all the way back to the DPF to keep it clean.

I always monitor my EGT and they haven't changed and this stuff holds the heat in a lot better than the old timer fiber glass stuff.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Heat wrap will not increase EGT's, flush that idea.

Some trucks have this issue some don't, the cab has a little play in all directions on the cab mounts. When the cab and frame are married at the factory there can be some a little closer to the motor than others. Or if your cab has been removed for service it could have been remarried closer to the motor. So some trucks have a little more wiggle room that others.

You can either massage the fire wall in the contacted area to gain the clearance needed, or loosen all the cab bolts ( but do not fully remove ) and see if you ( may need some extra muscle ) can shift the cab back a little further on the mounts and retighten the cab bolts. Other that hat put a flat spot in the pipe.

·
Premium Member
403 Posts
Heat wrap will not increase EGT's, flush that idea.

Some trucks have this issue some don't, the cab has a little play in all directions on the cab mounts. When the cab and frame are married at the factory there can be some a little closer to the motor than others. Or if your cab has been removed for service it could have been remarried closer to the motor. So some trucks have a little more wiggle room that others.

You can either massage the fire wall in the contacted area to gain the clearance needed, or loosen all the cab bolts ( but do not fully remove ) and see if you ( may need some extra muscle ) can shift the cab back a little further on the mounts and retighten the cab bolts. Other that hat put a flat spot in the pipe.
Going from OEM to 4" down pipe really worth it?

·
Registered
668 Posts
In my opinion yes, as I tow heavy a lot and I see around a 100 degree difference from stock. In towing heavy 100 degrees is alot.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Going from OEM to 4" down pipe really worth it?
Yeah it is, lower egts, more power, more aggressive sound. The stock down pipe is double walled, the inner wall is crimped and flattened out in a few areas so its more restrictive than it looks from the outside.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts