Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an MBRP 5" SS exhaust on my truck. This system has a 3.5" down pipe that once under the truck expands to a 4" then 5" the rest of the way back. I've looked at MBRP's down pipes but they don't appear to offer a 4" SS down pipe. Does anyone know of a 4" SS down pipe that will work with this system?

·
Registered
365 Posts
also curious, i would like a 4inch dp to 5 inch system, have a 3.5 to 4 right now

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I have a flowmaster 4" turbo back exhaust it has a 4" down pipe, but I'm not sure if they sell just the down pipe.

·
Premium Member
11,966 Posts
There really is no need for you to change to a 4" down pipe. It gets really tight in there and you have to work and adjust to get it so it is not hitting anything or rubbing on the up pipe. I rubbed hole in my down pipe and up pipe from contact I couldn't hear. I don't believe you'll see any performance benefit from going 3.5" to 4".

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think you really see much of a perfromance benefit from and exhaust system on these trucks period. Except for cooler EGT's and I've heard that a 4" dp will help more with lower EGT that a 3.5" does. So I'm not hoping for a performance boost but cooler temps and I was curious to see if it produced a different exhaust tone.

·
Turbos = Witchcraft
2,740 Posts
I don't know if there is a 4" dp that will be an exact fit for your MBRP system. All downpipes are basically the same, so you could probably make anyone work. If you have no plans of a drastic turbo upgrade, specifically to a nonVGT, the 3.5" dp will be fine. In fact, VGTs seem to like the slightly smaller downpipe better, meaning they spool a little faster. nonVGTs on the other hand like the 4" dp better. Silverline sells a SS 4" downpipe. i don't know if anyone else sells one separate from a whole system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts