Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a question. What is the easiest way to change the downpipe on an OBS? If you have any hints that would be great. Thanks yall.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Get a highpowered sawzall (corded otherwise you need alot of batteries) with a huge strong blade (I used a 12" long by 1/16" thick blade).
Unbolt the downpipe off the turbo and cat. Cut the "cobra's head" (curved top) off located where the pipe connects to the turbo. Once it is cut off then you may be able to let it drop out. I don't remember exactly, but if not you might need to cut it once more from under the truck.
Good luck it takes some time!
Mark

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man Ive never done this so I need all the help I can get.

·
Registered
160 Posts
No you dont need to cut cobra head --after you un bolt it -hit the bottom of the bend (from under the truck ) up wards --not hard -then cut -with long blade the bend then as high up you can from undernieth then move out of the way-- it will just drop out

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where can i get a new downpipe for an obs
MBRP sells on. There is another one that I found that has an aluminized down pipe for $85 plus shipping but I dont have the website at work. Send me a PM and I will get it to you when I get home from work.

·
Registered
405 Posts
rpm outlet has one..... use a plasma cutter to get the stock one out and use a port a power to push out the fire wall to make room for the new one.... down pipe is awsome when u get it on.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Rageingbull have you done a downpipe on an OBS truck before, its impossible to get the pipe out. I found that cutting the cobra's head off was the best solution making the job easier.
Also I used the sawzall to cut tabs in the factory weld seem and used a 6ft. Crow bar and a block of wood to bend them over to make room for the new Round pipe.
Good luck!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Cutting it from top and bottum will make it easiest to get out.....

Then you will be able to see where the new one will need to pass through.... cut the pinch in the cab a few times then it will be easier to bend down and back. I used a porta power jack and spreader head with a small peice of 2X4 for backing against the bellhousing of the tranny.

And I have NEVER heard of an OBS downpipe easily falling out...

They are somewhat of a PITA... but are WAY worth it.

Things will ALWAYS be easier with 2 people while working with exhaust.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Old Body Style, pre super duty.

Nobody is killin you man... just trying to get it straight.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will have help doing it. About how long does it take?

·
Registered
771 Posts
with help it shouldnt take more than a couple of hours.....

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I did one the other day for a customer of mine. Got it from Tymar. His stock truck downpipe had a crack in it just above the cobra head. Made for a real PITA trying to cut the rest of it off by myself. Took me about 2.5 hours total. I used the cut pinch into strips method and then the port a power with the little duck bill spreader. Worked like a charm. My complete exhaust and downpipe from Dale at Tymar is still in the garage for my 95. I never seem to be able to find time for my toys. I allways seem to be working. If I do not fix the pedal box bushings and rod soon I will have to beat the floorboard down a little to engage the clutch switch! LOL JJ

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the help guys I really appreciate it. I will let yall know how it went when I get it in...Ill also be doing my guages. YAY Stimulus check!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts