Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am running a 5" down pipe back DPF Delte Exhaust system. I am considering replacing the factory down pipe because of the pictures I have seen it seem pretty constrictive.

Is it OK to run it with the 5" down pipe back exhaust or am I wasting the 5" exhaust due to the constrictive factory down pipe??

Would I see gains in air flow, mpg, power if I replace the factory downpipe or am I OK to run it like it is??

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I originally had a 5" DP back exhaust and went through your same thought process. I ended up swapping out the stock DP with a 4" DP. There were no power gains and no gains in MPG's, but EGT's dropped some. You can drop your EGT's at WOT/towing by doing a 4" DP, Cold side Pipe, and a high flow intake elbow/EGR delete.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I already have the AFE CAI, H&S Mini Maxx, EGR Delte with High Flow Elbow, and the MBRP Passenger Side IC Pipe.

Just wondering if it is worth the headache to change out that down pipe.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The downpipe is worth it in my eyes. It only took me about 45 min to swap out my stocker with an AFE 4" DP. Pretty easy if you have a second set of hands standing up top to help wiggle the stocker out after you cut it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are there any write-ups on the steps involved? (where to cut, what to use, etc...)

I may try to do this.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
There may be but I havent seen one. What I did was Disconnect the DP from the turbo (13MM socket if I remember but may have been a 12mm), disconnect the DP from the stock exhaust. Wiggle the stock DP out the bottom as far as you can get it to go. Take a sawzall and cut the stock DP as high up as you can. Once you have that done you will be able to rotate the stock DP out the bottom of the truck. Slide the long first half of the new 4" DP up into position and fasten it to the turbo loosely. Install the second half of the DP into the bottom of the first half. Position all of the parts so they dont rub on the frame and tighten from the bottom going up.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. Sounds easy enough! Thanks!!!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So on the back of the turbo, is it only that one band clamp thing holding the down pipe onto the turbo?

Do I reuse that clamp to attache the new downpipe?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Yes and yes.

Sent with my mind using ESP.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Don't forget the GASKET, it might stay stuck to the tubo itself when the DP is removed, just go and get a new one prior to starting the swap.

·
Registered
853 Posts
question for you guys, if I can lift the truck or do this over a pit, can the down pipe be wiggled out in 1 piece?
Then I could store it with the DPF in case I need to have it stock for resale or something down the road.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No need, the ball/socket is the same size as on the stock exhaust, you can run an aftermarket 4" DP and it will bolt right up to the stock exhaust, that's including the cat/dpf. I am running the "stealth dpf delete" which just means a hollowed out cat/dpf, and I have a 4" DP I will be installing one of these days. The two will bolt right up.
But to answer your question, I think it would require the cab to be off, to get it out in one piece.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I new it would bolt to the stock exhaust just wasn't sure how much stuff had to be shifted or removed to get it pulled out of there. But it's definitely not worth that, sawzall it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok. So I got the factory down pipe disconnected from the stock exhaust and from the back of the turbo. I can't seem to budge the factory down pipe back off of the turbo!!!

Is there a trick to breaking it loose?

I don't want to compromise it in case I can't get it off!!

I have the band clamp loosened, does it come completely off??

Should I cut the factory downpipe before breaking it loose from the turbo?

And is there a gasket that I need to go up top to the turbo??

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
no gasket to turbo or at least i didnt see one.

theres a hook at the lip of the downpipe at turbo. you need to get under the truck to twist and turn it off the turbo.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
band clamp can come completely off.

i preferred taking dp off turbo and bringing it down to saw. allows to cut higher up and more space to work with saw.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I can't seem to get the DP to budge off of the turbo. It won't move at all.

How do I get that band clamp off? Pry it off with a screwdriver? Won't I bend it too much to reuse?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts