Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming home from camping in Stone mountian and about 50 miles from home Pop sound like tire. Black smoke turns into white smoke. Pulled over no warnings on truck or Banks IQ. Temps are fine but no BOOST or Brake readings. Start truck move off I95 and smoke out southbound lanes. Heavy white smoke checked for pressure in breather and no major increase in suction when thumping engine.
Turbo blown is what tow truck driver says (he said he has had it happen to him). Also may be on both sides of turbo?? Need to flush EGR COOLER as well if both sides??(just replaced egr cooler and Y-pipe last trip).
Any suggestions on a new turbo? Ford or aftermarket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
No offense but banks sucks, get rid of that p.o.s. Black smoke is overfueled and white is unburnt fuel. hard to diag from this little bit of info. If you are in the atlanta area and want to have someone look at it let me know.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
I would be doing a visual inspection of the entire charge air cooler system especially the hot side boots and black cold side plastic tube. Also check and make sure your ebp sensor and tube are still hooked to the exhaust manifold.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Coming home from camping in Stone mountian and about 50 miles from home Pop sound like tire. Black smoke turns into white smoke. Pulled over no warnings on truck or Banks IQ. Temps are fine but no BOOST or Brake readings. Start truck move off I95 and smoke out southbound lanes. Heavy white smoke checked for pressure in breather and no major increase in suction when thumping engine.
Turbo blown is what tow truck driver says (he said he has had it happen to him). Also may be on both sides of turbo?? Need to flush EGR COOLER as well if both sides??(just replaced egr cooler and Y-pipe last trip).
Any suggestions on a new turbo? Ford or aftermarket.
Pull the intake tube off the turbo that comes from your air filter housing and look inside to see if you can see any damage to the blades. If not, reach inside and gently move the shaft side to side and see how much movement there is. There should be almost none. If you have excess movement then you know the turbo is junk. Were you towing? Did you have the Banks turned up any? If it is a turbo, the Garrett Powermax is a good upgrade for the money. Do some checking and let us know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just don't like banks because they are overfuel boxes, not true "tuners" I think it is crap.. Most of their stuff I have installed fit like crap and I won't put their "tuners" in. rather install a real tuner, SCT. My 2 cents, everyone has their own opinion. I have personally removed several banks setups to install a real tune.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
just don't like banks because they are overfuel boxes, not true "tuners" I think it is crap.. Most of their stuff I have installed fit like crap and I won't put their "tuners" in. rather install a real tuner, SCT. My 2 cents, everyone has their own opinion. I have personally removed several banks setups to install a real tune.
I'm not disagreeing with you about not being real tuners. Just saying that they aren't crap, they make a good product especially for the novice just getting started. Just trying to keep th OP from reading the post and flipping out that his product caused the problem. You and I both know that even the best tuner, i.e., SCT can cause failures and sometimes catastrophic. Just don't want him pointinf to the tuner and trying something different and the actual problem not get fixed.

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
Doesn't exist on the 6.0
Uh sorry to burst your bubble but YES THERE IS. It is located on the front corner of the left mainfold and the sensor is located right by the thermostat on the 03 and 04's Then in 05 they moved it to the middle of the valve cover on the left side.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Agreed. Back to the topic. A bunch of things could cause this. A leaking injector, the turbo could be a culprit, the white smoke could also be something else like coolant. But since it was preceeded by black smoke I'm goin to guess it is a fuel issue.

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Uh sorry to burst your bubble but YES THERE IS. It is located on the front corner of the left mainfold and the sensor is located right by the thermostat on the 03 and 04's Then in 05 they moved it to the middle of the valve cover on the left side.
You are correct and I apologize for the incorrect info. I will however say that it is not marked/labeled as an EBP and shows as an EP so I skipped over it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:hehe::hehe: Really, I apologize for the false info. Thanks for the catch.:thumb:

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
You are correct and I apologize for the incorrect info. I will however say that it is not marked/labeled as an EBP and shows as an EP so I skipped over it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.:hehe::hehe: Really, I apologize for the false info. Thanks for the catch.:thumb:
I'm over it. I never try to be a dick, even if I may come off that way. Unless someone is just plain asking for it, but then I usually just leave them hanging.:hehe::hehe::hehe:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found the problem

Turbo shaft snapped. Only threw low boost code. I tow a 40 foot toy hauler and work the truck hard. I put on the Banks to try to get a little more power to get out of some steep starts. I do not use tuner for play and thought the speed brake would be the key to the mountian hills. I have had Banks on for 2 months and overall have had acceptable performance after I got the boost hose secure. I am finding out now that the 6.0 Ford isnt quite what I expect from it. I want to take a trip without getting towed home (#4) and am looking for something else. I dont have time to wait on the new Ford 6.7 reviews. I have purchased 2 other first year model vehicles and wont do it again.
I am picking up truck from shop today and will post the next trip results in a couple weeks. Hope it will be a uneventful and happy ending!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts