Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Excusion 7.3, automatic and factory stock. The overhead computer showed I was averaging 11 mpg. I thought it was low, so I had checked for leaks, replaced the filters, took it to the dealer twice for inspections, and was told it was within factory specs. Still, I wanted to chase the 15-17mpg I read about! I added a AFE stage 2 intake, 4" Magnaflow SS exhaust, Edge Evolution tuner, double and triple check everything again. I set it to 60hp econo/tow. I the drove 200 easy highway miles, keeping it below 60mph and under 2000 rpm at all times. The overhead computer showed 23 mpg!!! I was happy until I actually verified it at fill up time, when I discovered I really got 13.5 mpg. Taking into consideration it is a big, heavy vehicle, I suppose it is not all that bad. If it was gas, I would be getting only 8.5 mpg.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I have 2000 Excursion also. Best milage stock on hiway under 65mph was 20.7. that was about the only long hiway trip I'v made. Combo Hiway city commute stock low 16mpg, installed AFE prodry stage 2. and MPG went up to low to mid 17. That was several tankfuls. Only done short trip city and hilly driving since 4in Exhaust and DP Turner. These fugures are all hand Calculated.

Stock Lie-O-meter was with in .5 mpg up or down. seams like with Chip Lie-O-Meter reads hi. One short tankful hotroding around it seemed the hiest.

My Daughter has same 2000 Ex. Diablo sport and K & N air intake. She's too lazy to hand Calculate, but claims 20-24 hiway by Lie-O-Meter.

·
Let's go B's!!!!
6,020 Posts
Stock Lie-O-meter was with in .5 mpg up or down. [highlight]seams like with Chip Lie-O-Meter reads hi.[/highlight] One short tankful hotroding around it seemed the hiest.

This is very true...

·
Powerstroke Junkie
8,308 Posts
Common knowledge a chip or tune will throw your overhead mpg way off. Mine was always withing .5 and now reads 3 mpg high on 80 E, and about 1 mpg off with 60 tow, I haven't checked the 120 race. 13.5 still seems low even for a EX. I get 15.5 around town/country driving and that's with DRW 4:10's, what gearing do you have? Have you checked air pressure in your tires? This can make a huge difference, try running them up near the max pressure limits. These PSD's vary a lot on MPG maybe you got a thirsty one?

NCH

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
I have a ScanGageII add on scanner and it has displayed 9,999MPG on deceleration, also 1.1MPG on acceleration with a heavy right foot applied.
Have tucked with it in 5 feet of a 18 wheeler at 55MPH and gotten readings of 45MPG.
What you maybe seeing with the 23MPG is a steady cruse reading at speed.
The ScanGageII has a way one can check day to day the average from today and the day before, the best way is fill up to fill up using the same pump ant the same station and using the miles from the dash to figure the MPG number.
The ScanGageII has the MPG that is very active and one can see how the heavy right foot does effect to over all MPG, it has help me get almost 24MPG highway when traveling and better than 17MPG city streets.
My trucks sweet spot is about 53-54MPH, flat, not drafting 35-36MPG.

·
Registered
74 Posts
13.5mpg doesn't sound too bad.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
with my evo on level 3 my lie-o-meter says 28! hahaha

I can not afford to fill it up to caculate! I got 18.5 one time all high way at 65 mph pulling about 1500 pounds. i was all stock and that was back when i could afford to fill it up and caculate my mpg

·
Registered
74 Posts
With my 1.8L Sentra my lie-o-meter would say I'd get close to 40mpg, just go up a hill and coast down it in neutral. The best I ever got in that was 36mpg. With the truck I'd say it's close to maybe 13.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts