Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I feel this is something that I need to share. TLDR: I've been suffering intermittant dying and 4 cylinder running for thousands of miles. Replaced IDM, PCM, CPS, IPR, and ICP. Turned out it was a defective Dorman, one piece valve cover harness on the drivers side.

Wrecked my 99 with a good running motor that had 420,000 miles on it. Found a 2003 7.3 that the guy had thrown a rod about 50,000 miles after a rebuild. He mentioned that he had been dealing with intermittent dying. So I took my longblock and used all the 2003 wiring, injectors, turbo, HPOP, New integrated valve cover harnesses, etc. Truck ran great at first, then started having random dying incidents. Codes came up as IDM and CPS. Replaced CPS with generic Autozone unit. No dice. still having CPS codes. Replaced IDM. No Dice. Still having IDM and CPS codes. Replaced CPS with an International unit which caused the truck to stop dying, but now runs on 4 cylinders. Will run for several hundred miles with no problems, then suddenly I can't move it from the street to the driveway. Performed all the resistance checks between the IDM and the injectors, all checked out good. Finally got codes off my AE showing the problem to be the left, or drivers bank. As a last ditch effort, I finally replaced the Valve cover gasket and harness with an OEM Ford one and I have not had a problem now in the last 2,000 miles. What a nightmare. Hopefully this can help someone else in a similar situation

·
Registered
8,489 Posts
glad you figured this out and hopefully without any fires or melted harnesses. Googeling dorman uvch shows fires starting, shorts melting wire harnesses all sorts of issues. Spend some more time here and you'll see Ford has us by the balls lol. Motorcraft sensors and wires seem to be the only ones that work for these trucks. I hate spending the $$$$ when my wallet says spend $$ hahaha. Many have felt the burn so to say using autzone, o'riley, Napa, and other brands. I went through three dorman vac pumps on my current truck before my pride was broken and I spent 2.5x the amount and got a motorcraft unit but its been 25k plus miles and still works great lol.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, all cheap Chinese made crap. Hopefully if nothing else good comes from this COVID crap, maybe we stop making the cheapest possible crap in China. The original starter on my truck lasted a little over 300,000 miles. Since then I went through 3 aftermarket starters in less than 10,000 miles. I was ready to bite the bullet and buy a motorcraft unit the next time my starter failed. Seems I got lucky and I've not had a problem for the last 40,000 miles or so.

Should not be so difficult to find quality aftermarket service parts.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts