Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that when you turn on the key, the doors lock on my '97. Is this normal? I've never noticed it on any trucks before and this truck is new to me.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Do you have a aftermarket alarm? I put a DEI Viper in my 00 and it has the option to lock/unlock the doors when I turn the key.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, this truck has nothing aftermarket. It does it after 5 seconds everytime you turn on the key,

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
All three of my ford trucks have has power locks. and, while none of them have really worked, they all at least tried, just didn't have the power or whatever. But none of them even try to lock the doors upon turning on the ignition.

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
Does the truck have keyless entry? If the truck is bone stock in the electrical department, a previous owner may have swapped in a keyless entry module from a car that had the option enabled (Enabling the autolock on the RKE module requires door keypad input.)

It's the only logical explanation I can think of :dunno:

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
As far as I know, the factory autolocks only lock after the truck is moving 3mph or more. The only time I've seen them lock after starting the truck was with an aftermarket alarm.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
My truck has factory RKE and never locks the doors on its own. Maybe a previous owner changed something around like Bill said.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
When I bought my 03, the day it came to the dealership I had an alarm installed and used the factory remotes. I wonder if that's what's up with yours?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As far as I know, the truck doesn't have keyless entry. At least it dosen't have any remotes. You don't even have to start the truck, just turn on the key, wait 5 seconds, and the doors lock. Is there some sort of RKE module somwhere, or maybe a door lock module that could be either on the fritz or somthing is tellingit to lock?

·
Electrical Ogre
12,276 Posts
When I bought my 03, the day it came to the dealership I had an alarm installed and used the factory remotes. I wonder if that's what's up with yours?
OBS trucks use a different system than the SD's do.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
OBS trucks use a different system than the SD's do.
That they do, but of the dozens we've owned since 1987-1995 all were XLT or XLT lariat (on the older trucks) and none of them had auto. locks even though all of them, since '92 (I think) had factory keyless entry. They all had power locks, including the 95 cc dually I have now with FKE, but no auto locks. But with an aftermarket alarm system on many of them, they locked automatically after turning on the ignition. :dunno:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Aftermarket alarm crap... Still looking for a simple home built 'key off, engine running but it dies when the brake is pushed' solution. Thanks to this website I've got the 'I can lock/unlock the door with my remote with the engine running' mod so I am half ways there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts