Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I noticed last night after getting back to the campsite that the drivers side door molding was halfway peeled off. I've got a big drive tomorrow so I need to deal with it one way or the other beforehand as the last thing I want is a piece flying off and causing an accident on the interstate.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car

Trying to decide if it's worth detouring a half hour to get some body adhesive to glue it back or just rip it off and deal with it back in CO.

Thoughts on best thing to do? I assume that at this point the molding just needs replacement and re gluing would be a temporary fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
220 Posts
Peel it off as it will ideally need to be replaced anyway. It's held on with double sided foam tape and removing the remnants from the trim and the door is a PITA. In my experience once the trim bends it stretches and may not lay flat if reapplied. You can try and it might work out. It all depends on how much effort you want to expend and the result you expect. 3M makes a great body adhesive solvent and surface prep to clean the paint surface before reapplication but I have found the safest way is to wash it, gently warm the remaining adhesive with a hair dryer or heat gun and rub/roll it off with a finger. I recommend the last step of clean up be to wipe the surface with alcohol applied to a clean paper towel to remove all oils and contaminants to ensure the best adhesion. Also, be mindful of the pinstriping and logo just below as the clean up process can potentially damage it. That is why I prefer the warming and finger method over solvents. Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Doc! I didn't see this before we had to head out for the day so I just taped it down with duct tape so it wasnt a road hazard. Figure I'll leave it like that till I get home and can spend time doing it right.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ZMANN

·
Registered
Joined
·
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I finally got it fixed.

When I pulled it back finally I realized this was not the first time it had come off. Looked like the previous owner had tried using white caulk to reattach it.

I started out with a heat gun trying to loosen everything up but wasn't having luck. The duct tape residue was getting damn near runny but the caulk and old foam tape only got harder if anything. I broke out the goo gone to get the duct tape residue off. I tried I on the caulk and foam tape to no avail. After a few minutes though I noticed that the caulk was rubbery again and I could scrape it off with a fingernail. So I soaked everything in goo gone and let it sit 10 minutes. After that everything came off beautifully with a plastic scraper.

Now with all the old adhesive off I got the goo gone residue off with rubbing alcohol. I ended up using 3M VHB tape to reattach it, which seemed to work really well. If anything it's on firmer than the part at the back of the door with the factory foam tape.
Hood Bumper Finger Automotive mirror Automotive exterior

Wheel Tire Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

Plant Sky Tire Hood Cloud

In that last pic you can see a minor ripple where it transitions from factory tape to VHB. Here's the best shot I can get of the transition point
Hood Automotive tire Wood Automotive exterior Floor

Overall I'm pleased with the repair. I'm always gonna see the imperfections, but that just bodywork and one of the reasons I hate it with a passion 🤬
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top