Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie to this site and could use some help. I bought a 2001 ford F-250 Ext Cab with a 7.3 in January. In the middle of February I think my door lock actuators went out. Anybody know how to change these? I am going to buy them off the internet, but I do not really know how to take the door panels off. Any help would be great. And if anybody has anything that I should look out for. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeppers, that's what you want to do. First door is the hardest, but once you get the hang of it, it goes easier.

Most important thing is to strap the plastic case back together well. That little motor puts a surprising amount of force on the case, and after awhile it can split the case open, and you have to get in there and fix it. I use tie-wraps to cinch the case up tight: you have to make sure the ties don't interfere with the tabs and brackets.

Let us know how it turns out: post back if you run into problems.

c.

·
Banned
733 Posts
Check the connector in the door that connects to the door lock actuators before you buy anything. The connector on mine just fell off. I cleaned it and put a dab of RTV to glue it back on. Has worked just fine.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks, i will have a look. i think they might be bad tho, because you can see it trying to work. and both of them are out...

·
Super Moderator
19,445 Posts
If you're going replace the solenoids - Look at this picture:
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/1533/door28yz0.th.jpg

You'll notice that here are some metal 'tabs' - With the assembly in this condition, you can slide the solenoid off the metal tabs, slide the new one on. Re-attach the electrical wire and test. I would suggest using your key fob, if you have one, to test the solenoid. If you don't have a fob, you'll have to have someone use the driver's door lock control button. If the solenoid is working, re-assemble the door in reverse order.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have this same problem in my pass. front door and driver rear door. This also happened in my dads '00 superduty. I'll have to give this a try..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts