Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know others will be disappointed but today I won the prestigious doofus of the day award.
My story.
Time to change the old oil in the 6.4. Got all of my tools in place, loosened the oil filter and filler cap so that draining the oil would be quicker then crawled under the truck and got ready to drain the oil. For some reason the bin I drain the oil into wouldn't go under the truck. Hmmmmmmmm. I look and notice that one front wheel is on concrete and the other is on grass. NO PROBLEM! Just crank er up and move er a couple of feet..
See the follie in my thinking yet? YES, I had started the truck with the oil filter cover completely unscrewed,! I am a genius! In case you wanted to know the 6.4 apparently circulates about 12 gpm of oil because it pumped out about 2 gallons in the few seconds I hat it running.

The puddle

ImageUploadedByAutoguide1345431620.316841.jpg

It only took me about 4 hours to finish the oil change and clean and degrease the truck and driveway. Yay me!

Typed with my thumbs from my Autoguide app.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
:doh:

Dude, that sucks.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
topside oil drain system, maybe you can market it as a corrosion proofing mod:) to the same guys who instructions for a smoke switch mod. I have a fumoto on mine, one day I was BSing with my neighbor who is also a mech as I was changing oil. forgot to close valve before filling. fortunately drain pan was still place. prob lost .5-1 gallon and overflowed the pan a little

·
Administrator
30,470 Posts
lol I did a bypass oil filter on mine last week and I didn't get the center bolt tight enough

driveway paid the price

looked like the same amount of oil

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I qualify for the award too. I recently bought an '06 F-350 dually (my first diesel, btw) and made the switch to synthetic last weekend. In my haste to get the oil draining I dropped the drain plug into my oil catch where it promptly stuck in the drain hole below the catch. Since the oil couldn't run into the drain pan fast enough it overflowed, dumping about 2 quarts on the garage floor.

I felt like a total retard.

·
Don't you worry about it
8,335 Posts
that suck so hard.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I guess I qualify for the award too. I recently bought an '06 F-350 dually (my first diesel, btw) and made the switch to synthetic last weekend. In my haste to get the oil draining I dropped the drain plug into my oil catch where it promptly stuck in the drain hole below the catch. Since the oil couldn't run into the drain pan fast enough it overflowed, dumping about 2 quarts on the garage floor.

I felt like a total retard.

This is definitely a good reason to purchase a Fumoto valve to replace your drain plug!!!

Part # F-111 FUMOTO ENGINEERING

·
Viking Heavy Diesel
20,738 Posts
Man that sucks

·
Registered
9 Posts
that's why I just take it to Walmart for the oil change.... 80 bucks and done.

Sent from my Autoguide iPad app
You're braver than I am. When I bought my F-350, the dealership had put on the wrong tires, installed the wrong oil filter, drain plug not torqued, and a host of other little mistakes.

I don't trust anyone to touch my truck that isn't as fanatical about taking care of it as I am. Walmart would be like, at the bottom of the list.

But $80 is a good price, I agree.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You're braver than I am. When I bought my F-350, the dealership had put on the wrong tires, installed the wrong oil filter, drain plug not torqued, and a host of other little mistakes.

I don't trust anyone to touch my truck that isn't as fanatical about taking care of it as I am. Walmart would be like, at the bottom of the list.

But $80 is a good price, I agree.
Well, the truck came with a long history of oil changes at Walmart. It isn't a terribly complicated change so no, I don't worry too much. If I was to have anyone screw it up I'd prefer it is Walmart, at least I know thy can afford to fix it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts