Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys ? I am currently in the market for my first ever diesel truck. I have had other trucks and fast cars in the past but never a diesel. I am starting to read up on the different engines and options available. I have been looking at the late model 7.3 's and the 6.0's.

From what Ive read so far, the 7.3's are the more reliable engines. Although I plan on modding the truck and making more power, I dont care to run 10's.

What do you guys recommend or even if you can give me a few pointers as to what to keep an eye out for.

Also I have 15K CASH. Im looking for a F250 CC SB 4x4.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Go with a 7.3 man. You don't want the headache of a 6oh.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why do you say headaches ?? remember im a newbie to diesel motors.

is there already a thread that might show the pros and cons of each ??

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
A few of the 6.0 problems are headgaskets, egr cooler, oil cooler, and FICM. Thats just the major ones.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The 6.0 is prone to blowing headgaskets and everything else like Strokin6Liters said. They just arent reliable. The 7.3 wont leave you by the side of the road and its always there when you need it. My 7.3 have 213,000 on it and i've never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess im just having a hard time with this because Although the 7.3 are the more reliable motor. Im also looking at the fact that most of these trucks are almost 10 years old, if not more. Im looking at the whole truck not just the engine ..

·
Now I'm Strokin6.4Liters
2,447 Posts
I understand where you are coming from. But if you find one that has been well cared for then it will last you a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im almost afraid to get a diesel now. I always thought they were some what bullet proof ???:dunno:

How often do these problems occur, and what can be done to prevent them..

Are these DIY projects, or do some require real diesel mechanics to do the work ??

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Look around for a lower mileage 7.3 . They are great trucks and you can mod them , exterior and interior to have all of the creature comforts of the newer trucks . With the money you have you should be able to find a really nice 7.3 .

·
Registered
272 Posts
Don't be afraid to get one. Gas or diesel, no truck is bullet proof. If you can find a well taken care of 6.0 then it will last you as long as you take care of it. Same with the 7.3. If its taken care of you will have no problems. The key is maintenance, thats what will make the truck last. Like i said, mine has 213,000. it got that far with no problems because it was maintained well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts