Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Say I was to run an midpipe deleting the DPF......is there a way I can manually go in and disconnect the DPF until I get a tuner? I know it would throw a CEL but I don't care. As long as it won't regen. Put 2 K on an oil change and it already past the full mark.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Nope. Must have a tuner that supports DPF removal, otherwise the truck will shortly go into limp mode after you start it.

Sent from my LTEVO using AutoGuide app.

·
Registered
1,805 Posts
if its dumping that much fuel into the engine you have something else going on. deleting the dpf won't fix that. ignoring the real problem will probably result in major carnage, and denied warranty because of mods.

·
Registered
249 Posts
i dont understand the DPF delete stuff. there have been several companies out there make awesome performance numbers with factory DPF and exhaust. these trucks are engineered to perform with the DPF. to each their own i suppose.

Diesel Power July 2012 issue - "deleting this and removing that is a shortcut to nowhere. we can make this Powerstroke run better, improve its fuel economy, and still get it to burn clean"

the article is titled "How the Emission Laws we curse every day make diesel Better".
Page 24.

·
Fueling M.A.D. Everywhere
1,900 Posts
i dont understand the DPF delete stuff. there have been several companies out there make awesome performance numbers with factory DPF and exhaust. these trucks are engineered to perform with the DPF. to each their own i suppose.

Diesel Power July 2012 issue - "deleting this and removing that is a shortcut to nowhere. we can make this Powerstroke run better, improve its fuel economy, and still get it to burn clean"

the article is titled "How the Emission Laws we curse every day make diesel Better".
Page 24.
What's your definition of "awesome performance numbers"?

The emissions stuff was very much an add on. The engines run much better without them. My truck runs great and nearly smoke free (always smoke free unless I punch it. And then I just get a puff that clears up when the turbos light...) I burn clean every day without the emissions...

Not saying that a truck with original equipment can't be made better, but I think it's best for the motor without the DPF... You can't honestly tell me that the heat and the added unburnt fuel during Regen is healthy...

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide.com App

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know turbos and the less back pressure the fast the spool. Not to mention I just did an oil change....didn't even wait to get to 5K and I drained almost 5 gal. from the truck. 15 quarts is about 4 1/2 gal. can u guess where the other 1/2 gal. came from? Diesel from all the stupid regen's from driving around town so much. I hit 9 regens in 2,800 miles. NOT COOL!

·
Registered
249 Posts
a properly functioning new Diesel will run great when properly tuned with the DPF attached. i work on Internationals (Maxxforce and DT line), i deal with DPF's every day. the temps are brief, the ECU injects extra fuel into the DPF, not the engine, to burn off what particulate has been caught (when the ECU detects too much backpressure), and its done. yes the temps are high, but they are in the DPF, which is designed to handle it. even Cummins is using DPF's now. the only issues are when the DPF wont regen because of a damaged DPF or a damaged injector. if your truck has DPF issues, i hope its still under warranty.

i want to mention that i am not trying to start a fight, im just voicing my experience. if you delete, thats fine, thats your choice. my truck had a cat only when i bought it, and i cut it out. i just wanted to point out that these engines are designed to run with the DPF intact (since the 6.4 is a Maxxforce 7), and by EPA and government regulations, we are in deep you know what if we remove these. we are talking thousands and thousands of fines for the truck shop, the tech that did it, the driver of the truck, and the owner of the truck.

I know turbos and the less back pressure the fast the spool. Not to mention I just did an oil change....didn't even wait to get to 5K and I drained almost 5 gal. from the truck. 15 quarts is about 4 1/2 gal. can u guess where the other 1/2 gal. came from? Diesel from all the stupid regen's from driving around town so much. I hit 9 regens in 2,800 miles. NOT COOL!
if you are having to regen that often, you have a problem. i would have it checked ASAP. it either is not regening properly (injector at DPF issue, backpressure sensor issue, etc), or your DPF is damaged. now, if your truck is out of warranty, by all means, tear that sucker our and recycle it (its worth a lot of money). you DO NOT want to pay for one of these out of pocket. trust me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have 6.4 all factory, but dpf back upgraded to banks monsther exhaust..any way can get truck louder? bellow sound....only other thing i can think of is taking dpf off? the sensor in dpf are pressure sensors as far as i know,,to if take them out, and put them in straight pipe they should still pickup the differential pressure,,and not regen,,even if does regen? what hurt wil it?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
You truck will not start if the dpf is gone and you do not have a tuner. If it does start well it will go into limp mode the second regen turns on. I wish it was as simple as just straight piping it but its not

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks.. been lookin all day,,,think from sounds,,best option is diamond eye pipe and a mini maxx programmer.. lot other programmers offer a economy mode, but mini maxx does not... ?

·
1,900 Posts
i have 6.4 all factory, but dpf back upgraded to banks monsther exhaust..any way can get truck louder? bellow sound....only other thing i can think of is taking dpf off? the sensor in dpf are pressure sensors as far as i know,,to if take them out, and put them in straight pipe they should still pickup the differential pressure,,and not regen,,even if does regen? what hurt wil it?
Without taking the DPF out, it's not gonna be loud. Even straight 5" pipe my truck is not loud. You just can't do it with the twin turbo, quiets these up a ton.

But you most definitely need a tuner to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
1,900 Posts
thanks.. been lookin all day,,,think from sounds,,best option is diamond eye pipe and a mini maxx programmer.. lot other programmers offer a economy mode, but mini maxx does not... ?
Get either an H&S, Spartan, or custom tunes from gearhead or innovative.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm all for protecting our environment and health and I think dpfs are a neat concept. It's neat to see a diesel that doesn't smoke at all. My main complaint is when I had a problem with my dpf and my truck was in regen more than it wasn't, ford thumbed their nose at it and wanted to say it was "normal operation for the powerstroke". I realize some of the medium duty and up trucks have a dedicated injector in the exhaust, but not light duty trucks. This is how they all should be! For gods sake, it doesnt have to be a $1,000 injector like we have in our engines like ford wants us to believe, just a simple injector would suffice. When our trucks regen too frequently for too often it is definitely hard on the engine, turbos, oil, etc.
It seems to me that Ford has to comply with the EPA requirements when they build the truck, but once it's sold they could care less.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts