Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the requirements are, I read 9 oz's but how much goes in the compressor and how much in the dryer? I will be replacing both! Will there be oil left in the system once i replace these two things? I'd assume some in the condenser? I dont wanna add the wrong amount any help is appreciated! My boss is letting me use his ac machine but isnt gonna be around to teach me the ins and outs of it!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know what the requirements are, I read 9 oz's but how much goes in the compressor and how much in the dryer? I will be replacing both! Will there be oil left in the system once i replace these two things? I'd assume some in the condenser? I dont wanna add the wrong amount any help is appreciated! My boss is letting me use his ac machine but isnt gonna be around to teach me the ins and outs of it!
The manual indicates that if a compressor is changed due to failure, you should also replace the orifice tube and condenser. Reason being that the teflon seals break apart and circulate to both. That being said, you can dump the oil out of each part and measure the total amount. Replace with the same plus 1/2 ounce more. You didn't mention if you have the separate back seat cooling. I think it may have been an option in some years. Other wise you're correct 9.0 oz. if the back seat cooling is involved its 14.0oz. The freon charge is 134a and 42 oz for front only, and 68 oz if front and rear.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you much! The compressor is externally damaged, I had a cat under my hood that took a wild ride through the fan when the motor started! So the fluids should be all good! Asked my boss today and he said his ac machine gizmo can measure what's removed... so realistically I should just replace the oil with new stuff equal to what we removed correct?

·
Registered
533 Posts
Short answer is yes. But some will stay in the compressor when you remove it.
So say you pull 2 ounces while vacuuming, you could have had 2 ounces sitting in the old compressor.
Used to be a spec for oil in each component.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
246 Posts
Thank you much! The compressor is externally damaged, I had a cat under my hood that took a wild ride through the fan when the motor started! So the fluids should be all good! Asked my boss today and he said his ac machine gizmo can measure what's removed... so realistically I should just replace the oil with new stuff equal to what we removed correct?
Since the compressor is not damaged, when you pull it tip it over a cup and measure what comes out. Its pretty straight forward.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts