Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucky me, I've got blown head gaskets on my 06 6.0L! Just turned 80,000 miles. I called a local shop that specializes in Powerstrokes, they told me it would be $2600 in Labor plus parts. They also said I could count on replacing the heads at $1300 each because 90% of the time they are cracked. Now add in gaskets, studs, fluids, and anything else they may need and we are around 7K!!!! HOLY COW!!

Does this seem right?

· Registered
41 Posts
Hey man, I had a similar issue just last week. I posted it on here "ever cracked a head". Luckily my ext warranty is paying because the dealership forced them to somehow. Ive only owned the truck for 10 days. Ya my heads were cracked apparently and had been for a while.. 8k bucks.. thank god the dealership is covering the costs my warranty wont *about 2k bucks warranty isnt covering, dealership agreed to pay* one good thing from this whole mess is that it is getting arp and an egr delete and exhaust. I paid for the exhaust and having it put on at the shop while the cabs off.. Just took pics of it today crazyness. good luck brotha. keep on rollin

· Registered
1,456 Posts
Definitely do all the price comparing you can!
But that is not too far out of line if you end up needing heads also.

My HG blew at 35k mi. and when they pulled the heads they had alot of hairline cracks in them which my dealer said is common so they replaced them also.

Mine was under warranty, but if it wasn't then the bill would have been around $8k. but that was also for a new egr cooler and turbo.

· Registered
239 Posts
there is a local shop to me that charges $6400 for a complete job. the shop i use charges @ $3k for a complete job. mine are getting done here in a few weeks
mike

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Six0-Stroker - I have considered doing the work myself, just got done with the EGR delete and oil cooler replacement only to find the next weakest link!! Despite the fact it was almost 50 degrees here in Michigan today, I can't imagine this mild weather will last much longer. If I had an indoor shop where I could take my time and remove the cab I would certainally do this myself and save some serious coin!

This sucks, I'm so bumbed out right now!

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Don't get the parts through them? Show up with all the parts you need in your backseat/bed.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Darsey - I plan to bring the head gaskets and ARP studs, shopping around now for heads. The dealer wants about $1500 each with a $250 core charge! It just keeps getting better..... time to drink!!

· Registered
240 Posts
Darsey - I plan to bring the head gaskets and ARP studs, shopping around now for heads. The dealer wants about $1500 each with a $250 core charge! It just keeps getting better..... time to drink!!

sorry to hear about that. the heads can be milled in some cases. if u dont have to buy heads tho, that will make the bill much less.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Joe - That would be much better, but the guy at the shop said the heads can't be milled because they are so close to minimum spec right from the dealer. Not sure if my truck is the only one blowing smoke here.....

· Registered
4,591 Posts
Um, they should be able to be milled down if they've never been milled before. The spec I found, not sure how accurate, is no more than .002" - .003".

· Registered
263 Posts

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the help!! I was looking at the Odessa heads but of course the fella at the shop said stay away from EBAY heads because he had a customer buy some and bring them in only to find out they were cracked.

· Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HeavyAssault - That about sums it up!! I ended up doing just that and I've found a much better deal with some real straight shooting powerstroke pros!

· Registered
382 Posts
Glad to hear that you found a better Doc. I just did my HG last week and had one good head that was milled about .005 and the other had a crack between the intake valves, I had that one milled .005 and decided to run that one. THe heads can be milled no more that .008, sounds like your guy didn't want to deal with the heads at all. Good luck with everything.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.