Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys i got bad news the other day, the orange wrench showed up on my dash while i was on a trip and after reading on here and useing my cts i figured it was my oil cooler. So i figured i might as well do studs too. Heres my thinking. I am ready to change my first coolant filter at 500 miles, then flush the coolant system (switching to ELC) Just fill it with water and drive it to the shop they will do the cooler and studs then fill with correct coolant. Does that sound like a good idea to you guys. And I know its been discussed but should i go with the bpd oil cooler? or by changing the coolant will that solve the issue?

·
Registered
214 Posts
That sounds perfect man. Do the flush right before you take it to the shop. Let them add the new coolant so there is no waste. The coolant will help with the oil cooler but nothing solve the problem permanently except for the bpd oil cooler. I would go that route if you don't mind paying the dough right now so then you will never have to worry again.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was also thinking about new injectors, I dont tow or haul anything all the time just occasional truckloads of wood. But i do like to haul *** when i step on it. would 155s be alright with a stock turbo. I also have an sct so custom tunes will be on the way... If i do the injectors that goes the idea of the bpd oil cooler. I know the decision is mine but i would like to know your guy's opinions.
thanks

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
I would suggest doing the proper coolant flush from start to finish author leaving straight water in it no longer than necessary before it is tore down for the work. The coolant will prevent flash rust from forming and haunting you for the life of the truck. All they have to do then is dump the new coolant in a clean bucket. The coolant systems on these trucks is the single most failure point, related to improper maintenace by the owner. Why screw yourself over.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
992 Posts
I installed 155s back in January and I love them. The injectors compliment the stock turbo nicely even though I do look to upgrade the trubo down the road. I actually just wrapped up installing my BPD external oil cooler with stock filter and cold weather kit. Both of which were not that hard to install. If you have the time. Do it yourself.

As for driving it with water. If it is just to the shop then I see no problem with it. Just make sure you check the forcast for the week to make sure its not going to drop below freezing (dont know your location). There are many forms on how to flush coolant for these trucks, each person is going to have a different way of doing it. I just put tap water and rust remover in my truck for cleaning the cooling system and the water came out brown, you will be surprised. Still gotta run some silicate remover through it though.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hey bowman, when you say you did the bpd kit with the stock oil filter, where and how did u do that? is that a seperate kit?

·
Registered
992 Posts
It's their new kit. It comes with a different transfer block that allows you to retain the stock oil filter location. And it's a couple hundred dollars cheaper

1 - 7 of 7 Posts