Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue and I need to know if my truck records the last time it was started? A tow truck driver started my truck and ran it and now it needs a new motor and he says he didn't drive or even start it, which I know isn't true, I just have to prove it. I need some help to know if I can produce that information.

1,023 Posts
I am having an issue and I need to know if my truck records the last time it was started? A tow truck driver started my truck and ran it and now it needs a new motor and he says he didn't drive or even start it, which I know isn't true, I just have to prove it. I need some help to know if I can produce that information.
yes. It will show when the failure occured PROVIDING they didnt clear the KAM and wipe everything out. It will tell in freeze frame info how many warm ups since failure, how many RPMs the engine was turning, How hot the oil and coolant was, how much load was on the engine, what gear it was in how fast it was going etc.

1,023 Posts
For example- I had an 07 that had a miss fire. Customer didnt state when. No miss on start up, no miss going up hill under load, wide open, or slight throttle, when i pulled the CMDTCs out of it, the miss occured at 92 miles per hour on cyls 7 3 and 2 engine load of 40% eot was 223* ect was 221* and had 3 warm ups since the failure meaning it was driven to operating temp then shut down for a cold soak (possibly shut off when they got to work then started at 5 then shut down when home then started and went to work). also happened in 5th gear APP (throttle pedal) was indicating held to the floor (possibly in an attempt to get to work fast or blow it up)

Its hard these days to be a shady person and place blame on something or someone else when you are responsible for the truck. It would be like me if i had someones truck to do on the side, and i went and installed a EGR delete kit oil cooler and did a coolant flush and oil change and turbo cleaning, i take the truck down the road find a long steep hill and hold it wide open and once i crest the hill it loses power and starts to lightly smoke and a head gasket burst-that would be my responsibility. But if i did all that and it turned out a different result such as a failed injector-thats not my responsibility thats a totally different failure in no way related to the coolant component upgrade.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
Ok, with that being said, how would a layperson retrieve this information and record it in a way that it would be presentable to others? In the form of a printed report would be the best way for him to have it, so that should it become a legal matter the defense could not claim that the report was "made up" or a fabrication of evidence.
Is that something he could only get done at a dealership?

1,023 Posts
Ok, with that being said, how would a layperson retrieve this information and record it in a way that it would be presentable to others? In the form of a printed report would be the best way for him to have it, so that should it become a legal matter the defense could not claim that the report was "made up" or a fabrication of evidence.
Is that something he could only get done at a dealership?
Pretty much. SOME scanners can retrieve Freeze frame info. NO NOT A POS CODE READER FROM AUTOZONE! You will need one of the newer Snap On scanners (theyre my favorite so easy to use) like a Modis or a verus or verdict to obtain it and print it. PRETTY MUCH your going to need to print this data and as stated PRAY they didnt clear the KAM. Although you can still retrieve codes that have been erased with IDS you CANT always get the associated freeze frame data with those codes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the great information, looks like I have my work cut out for me. The shop is going to be putting it in work today to start changing the motor, but I still want to pursue this. I hope that any pulling the cab off won't disturb any of the data that you are talking about, as my service writer is out of the shop today, so I probably won't be able to talk directly to the technician. I am assuming that a normal deisel tech will know what I am talking about when I ask him to retrieve this information. Would that be a correct assumption or should I print this thread off and attempt to guide him through the process? It would be so much easier if you guys lived in Hampton Roads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealer called and it seems that my 4 month old batteries didn't have a strong enough charge on them to hold any information to retrieve from the freeze frame. I will try and document the engine change with pictures and information as it goes along. I am ordering some head studs today so they can at least put them on while they're changing it out.

·
Premium Member
6,293 Posts
And by the way, when your heads are off, get them away from the dealer. Find a machine shop that is capable of milling these heads. The FORD procedure is not sufficient for this crucial step.
Have the machine shop check the heads for straight/flat and have the heads magnafluxed for cracking, especially in the exhaust valve seat area (since they tend to crack there).
Tell the machine shop they can only mill off 0.008 and if they must go beyond that to achieve flat, you will need to buy new heads. This is an important step that, if skipped, could result in the head gaskets failing again. It has happened over and over again to those that skipped this step.
Do the job right and do it once, or do it again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts