Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my truck runs and drives pretty smooth - considering its an 18 yr old diesel. just had an injector replaced, an expected that would have helped to smooth the idle out - no deal..
its a 95 crew cab dually. 140,000 miles. its gets regular maintence on the ususal stuff. entire fuel system on the top of the motor has been rebuilt or replaced. new orings, fuel lines, gaskets, filter. fpr screen was cleaned, filter is changed every 5k miles when i do the oil change and filter. lift pump is new - cali spec fpr spring installed, new air cleaner too..
when the truck is at idle, in gear when stopped at a red light or such - the truck shakes a bit.. feels like im riding in a big block with a monster cam in it. just wondering if anyone else's truck has a shake to it, or if the "normal" thing would be for the truck to be smooth and steady like a honda or something. ive been wanting to remove the vavles at the HPOP which is suppose to do the same thing as a crossover line but havent gotten to it and have a million other things on my "to-do" list. getting a little tired of all the little things that are starting to annoy me.

·
Registered
72 Posts
have you changed i cps it is a very common problem with idle issues. if you change it keep the old one for a back up. but its a easy change and if it orig. dont hurt to change it anyway. also disconnect your batterys and touch you cables together to reset the ecm

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
have you changed i cps it is a very common problem with idle issues. if you change it keep the old one for a back up. but its a easy change and if it orig. dont hurt to change it anyway. also disconnect your batterys and touch you cables together to reset the ecm
yes been changed - that and the ipr too. they were cheap enough so i did both.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Mine rocks a bit but I always figured it was because the truck has a v8 diesel in it.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Welcome to owning a 7.3 powerstroke.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
It is a Big Block with a good cam. :D

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
IH CPS stopped mine from literally earthquaking me in the seat at idle

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
^mine too. I still get it for a couple minutes coming off the freeway but I'm starting to think that its time for a new HPOP before the current one becomes worthless.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
International Harvester, young padawan.

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
IH ? Can u learn me dat?
Even though our trucks say FORD on the side their heart and soul is a International Harvester tractor. You can find a lot of different kits and upgrades through your local IH for our engines and a lotta times it's cheaper. Not the CPS though.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Welcome to owning a 7.3 powerstroke.
Yea I get that - and I'm not a new owner but I see videos some trucks that look like they wouldn't even shake a glass filled with water.. granted they are MOSTLY the later 7.3's but still.. my work truck is a new freightliner with a Cummins in it and its smooth. It just seems a bit much.. meaning I cant see people dropping the money on these trucks new and sayin - oh I love how this new $35,000 shakes like an epileptic .. at least I don't need to stir my coffee but even with a new injector there's no major change

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Yea I get that - and I'm not a new owner but I see videos some trucks that look like they wouldn't even shake a glass filled with water.. granted they are MOSTLY the later 7.3's but still.. my work truck is a new freightliner with a Cummins in it and its smooth. It just seems a bit much.. meaning I cant see people dropping the money on these trucks new and sayin - oh I love how this new $35,000 shakes like an epileptic ..
Your trying to compare the smoothness in motors in a heui injected v8 to a common rail i6? Apples to peanuts, much?

·
BANNED by Kris
6,317 Posts
^yep, newer truck use splits to soften the blows at idle.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Mine shakes like a cammed big block at idle as well. Not a ton, but a nice rumble. I love it :evillol:

·
Registered
437 Posts
Mine didn't shake a whole lot at idle, maybe as much as the mach1 in my av. The shake all but went away this weekend after new injectors got dropped in.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Mine doesn't shake at all while idling. Where did you get your CPS?

·
Diesel Freak
713 Posts
My shaking was so bad it rattled the door pannels inside the cab lol I also did a SS HPX line too at the same time that made a difference too forgot to mention that in my first post....

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Your trying to compare the smoothness in motors in a heui injected v8 to a common rail i6? Apples to peanuts, much?
no im actually comparing a 97 7.3 to a 99 7.3.. and also stating how a 6 cylinder is smoother than my 8, despite having 2 less cyclinders firing. thats normally not the case. granted they may be different,, but they are still both fuel injected.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Mine didn't shake a whole lot at idle, maybe as much as the mach1 in my av. The shake all but went away this weekend after new injectors got dropped in.
what kind of injectors did ya throw in? were you having any real injector issues that lead you to do that, or did you just feel it was time?

1 - 20 of 68 Posts