Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to determine if I should use my 2006 6.0 as off-road exploring/ adventure vehicle. Reliability is paramount if you're off road and a 100 miles from a tow truck-able road.

So the question is: Would you trust a 6.0 under these circumstances?

The reason I ask is that I like my truck very much, but always feel like I'm waiting for something to break.

Don't take this as a knock to the 6.0, it just happens to be what I own. I'm not sure I'd trust ANY modern diesel simply because of how temperamental they can be and their complexity.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Absolutely. I trust my truck 100%. Anytime it has started giving me an issue I have fixed it before it became a bigger problem. It has never left me stranded in the 2.5 years of ownership and IMO, with the strict maintenance on it that I'd do, I doubt it ever will.

·
Registered
951 Posts
If i was going to routinely be off the beaten path, id find a cheap blown up 6.0 and a rusted out 12v dodge and swap the 12v cummins with a manual trans into the ford. Then you can roll start the thing w/o power if needed, will even run w/o electrical power completely if needed.

Jason

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
After my 04 was "bullet proofed", I felt confident in it. Are there better vehicles for off roading and exploring?...definitely.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After my 04 was "bullet proofed", I felt confident in it. Are there better vehicles for off roading and exploring?...definitely.
Absolutely there are better vehicles, but this is what I own. The problem with bullet proofing from what I've seen on the forum is that "bulletproof" does not always equal no problems. Some guys have spent quite a bit of coin bullet proofing only to have continued issues related to their efforts.

It would be a hard pill to swallow and a hard lesson learned to spend the money to bullet proof my truck only to have it fail anyway.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Short answer: no.

It's left me stranded before (oil rail dummy plugs, no start). My 1st generation tacoma 4x4 was the **** when it comes to reliability.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Its a reliable engine with some quirks, once removed can be almost perfect. Bulletproofing can have issues as some people don't put them back together right, always a possibility of something going wrong. I am doing it now and hopefully I am doing it right. ;)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Absolutely there are better vehicles, but this is what I own. The problem with bullet proofing from what I've seen on the forum is that "bulletproof" does not always equal no problems. Some guys have spent quite a bit of coin bullet proofing only to have continued issues related to their efforts.

It would be a hard pill to swallow and a hard lesson learned to spend the money to bullet proof my truck only to have it fail anyway.
I agree it would be a hard pill to swallow but how often does that happen with work done by reputable shops. By reputable that doesn't include HG done by some ford dealers. I got rid of my 05 before i had to do anything major but i wouldn't hesitate to buy another 6.0. It's like everyone says, usually proper maintenance equals reliable.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I have used both of my 04 6.0s for this sort of overland camping, they have never left me stranded, When I managed a 4x4 shop I saw many IFS chevys with suspension mounts pulled off of the frame, dodges with busted steering boxes, axle shafts etc. any Ford has an advantage in chassis robustness, do the basic bulletproofing, carry the basics as far as tools and parts. Problems that are universal are much more likely to strand you than any 6.0 specific issue, so check batteries/charge systems, suspension and brake lines. These trucks will 4 wheel well if you dial in the suspension to flex(remove the rear swaybar if eguipped, lower tire pressure etc. Be prepared to get unstuck, 60" highliftjack, straps, maybe Maxtracks and a winch, shovel.

·
Registered
6,023 Posts
Look at the space shuttle. It was built to be way far from the nearest AAA and cost billions of dollars and was built by the worlds top mechanics and they had nothing but issues. If man makes it , it can fail.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i trust mine for sure

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Trust it off road? No.

First off because it is a large heavy vehicle, easy to get stuck. I know because I have got mine stuck on pipeline ROWs before at work. It's not a vehicle that is easily maneuvered in a sticky situation, i.e., turning around in a tight spot, skirting a narrow path, etc.

Secondly, because it's a 6.0. Of course bulletproofing may give a sense of reliability out there but realistically, headstuds and new HGs are not going to solve the issues that would leave you stranded. You are very unlikely going to blow a HG on a trail and it will still run with blown HGs. Of course you don't want to be out there with a bad oil cooler or EGR cooler if you still have one.

There are so many small things that would actually leave you stranded that "bullet proofing" would have no affect on. HPO system could start leaking at any time and leave you stranded. Electrical issues such as the FICM, injectors could leave you stranded. Of course knowing the health of the FICM would eliminate this. But there are parts of the 6.0 which can fail without warning and even if they are new parts (ICP sensor, IPR, GPR, HPOP, all of the o-rings in the HPO system).

You never know with a 6.0. Stuff can break without warning. Monitoring definitely helps. But because of the issue of being off the beaten path, it is a much higher risk b/c help/tools/repairs are harder to get/do out there compared to the road.

I trust :look: my 6.0 to get me to work and home everyday because I have no other choice. But I do monitor it and have done what I can to minimize failure.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Love mine and would take off across the country in mine in a second!

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have beaten on my truck more than she probably deserves but it just keeps running strong. Nothing that has messed up has ever left me stranded on the side of the road. Only minor things have gone wrong. I would say that I trust my truck.

·
Premium Member
20,293 Posts
Yes..... see sig for what I've done to be able to say that :nod:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts