Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because I do. It's not all the time just after its warmed up after an interstate run or driving hard. Sometimes it does it sometimes it doesn't. If I put the ac on recirculate it goes away. I was just wondering if there was a fix for this.

Oh and the truck still has the stock exhaust.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
You need to check for soot around the firewall, you have an exhaust leak.

Sent from my phone that somebody didn't help me get.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be pretty obvious? I've checked and didn't see anything.

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Maybe it would help if someone would throttle it up while you look for signs of smoke.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll try that. Is there an area I could feel around where leaks are common to see if I can feel exhaust blowing?

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Flex joint on the uppipe. Sure its not the intake/cac boots?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just had those replaced under warranty because they were shot. Maybe the dealership didn't install them properly?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No smoke under the hood. No soot like residue under the hood, clean firewall an the flex section on the up pipes are still shiny gold. No leaked around the turbo either. I'm stumped :dunno:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Is the truck stopped when this happens by chance? A light breeze can carry the exhaust around the front then the hvac can blow it in the cabin. I've had that happen quite a few times. It's the only other thing I can think of since you can't find any residue. :dunno:

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
sure it's exhaust and not a fuel smell?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Idk. Next time I take it in for service I'll have the tech look at it. If it is leaking exhaust from somewhere hopefully it will be covered under warranty.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
It's definitely exhaust. I've had a fuel leak before its not that raw fuel smell.
cool. we had some drivers that confused a fuel smell with exhaust. just thought i'd ask just in case lol.

have you checked at the down pipe, and all the flanges/clamps on the exhaust near the front underbelly?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Not to change the topic....but I have the same issue except I know mine is a fuel smell..any guesses? Before I go digging around

Sent from my PH44100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
you have a fuel leak most likely. usually top of engine somewhere.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Not to change the topic....but I have the same issue except I know mine is a fuel smell..any guesses? Before I go digging around

Sent from my PH44100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
I had a leak at the fuel filter up top. Check there first.

·
Motor Head.
1,767 Posts
yup I have the same issue,only when stopped at a light.It goes away if I turn to max ac,been trying to figure it out.Mine smells like fuel.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts