Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright guys please dont take this the wrong way. i have had diesels for the better part of about 7 years and have loved every minute of it
Here is my question tho who actually needs their trucks on here i mean i will totally admit i could do with out my pickup i dotn want to but i could
here is what i am getting at i understand that demand is down 4% but as i have read on here nobody wants to stop driving or anything so thats why prices stay up "greed" was posted in another thread and thats exactly what it is
no i know that over the road trucks use WAY more diesel than we do and the rail road is like the top consumer of diesel but when people buy trucks for the wives to have a big huge nice grocerie getter that just seems un nessessary (mind you i let my g/f drive mine alot of stupid crap like that too so dont take to much offense) i mean just because you have the money to do it doesent nessessarly mean you have to you know
i hope this doesent raise to much of a heated battle but i just want kinda curious and sorry for the long post

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
I'm the first to admit, I am greedy in that case. I love my truck, and the big 35x12.50 tires that are on it. I like having room for my 2 kids, toys, and 80# golden retriever to ride along. With that said........

Don't blame me for high fuel prices, I only burn about 5 gallons of diesel a week, and use synthetic lubes on everything. The rest of my travel is on WVO. Not a whole lot of petroleum involved here.

I work in the oilfield, and get criticized every day, but don't plan on changing anything any time soon.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
I don't NEED it. I could have something else and get by just fine. BUT for a bunch of reasons, this is the very best option for me. Yes I will admit I am quite attached, but like I said. I could have something else, but this works out best for me. I am aware of the price, and I pay it. Plus there is a really really good chance that I will need it later in life, so i think it's better to start with one now. For me.

·
Registered
3,989 Posts
I actually use my truck. Not all the time, but alot of the time. I COULD get rid of it for a gas guzzler, but I would still need a truck. Butu if i were to get a gas guzzler, i'd have to start worrying about it falling apart @ 100,000k or sooner. I need the longevity of my diesel and the return on my investment that I spent on it.

·
Premium Member
14,491 Posts
My PSD still gets better fuel mileage than my F150 and I originally traded up so that I could purchase a toy hauler and not be limited in what I could buy because of the size of my truck.

I also haul trailers full of quads and other stuff etc all the time so a smaller vehicle is not an option.

BUT, I will say I was ready to take the plunge and purchase my toy hauler and then fuel went through the roof.:doh: So plans are on hold right now.:(

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
i dont even haul anything, i just always ever since i was a little kid wanted a school bus sounding truck so when I could finally afford it I bought it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Most of this week my truck has been parked and I have been driving my Diesel VW Golf. During the week I really dont need my truck most of the time - but by the weekends, with hauling 2- 12' kayaks, bikes, mulch, etc and then when on mission - towing my trailer - there really is no other feasible choice when factoring in longevity, dependability, high mileage (back to dependability factor), comfort, safety (got rammed by a 26' Frieghtliner at 60mph and walked away) - really - if I need to park the PS during the week in lieu of a $50 fill up verses a $150 fill up - I'll do it.

I'm not selling my truck though.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My PSD still gets better fuel mileage than my F150 and I originally traded up so that I could purchase a toy hauler and not be limited in what I could buy because of the size of my truck.

I also haul trailers full of quads and other stuff etc all the time so a smaller vehicle is not an option.

BUT, I will say I was ready to take the plunge and purchase my toy hauler and then fuel went through the roof.:doh: So plans are on hold right now.:(
yea i know how that goes we used to pull alot more trailers for farm machinery before fuel went up then we started hiring big trucks i dont know
and for us that pull with our trucks thats fine you "NEED" them

·
Registered
445 Posts
well.... I could do without the diesel, but I would still need a truck. Plus, I like the fact I can load the wife and kid in it and still have as much room as a SUV and the hauling space with the bed. I could do without the truck, but ever since I got my license, this was my dream truck. Now that I have it, I don't want to let it go................

·
Registered
891 Posts
I live on a farm so my truck does get used almost on a daily basis but I could get by with something else. My last rig was an F-150 but I got sick of the repairs on a regular basis. Plowing snow/hauling hay/pulling a horse trailer 2-3 times a week takes its toll on a rig and this F-350 has held up well so far. I kept my wifes Nissan Altima when she got her Yukon XL and drove that for awhile commuting back and forth to work (32 miles each way) but couldn't stand it. Additionally by the time you maintain a third vehicle and pay insurance I didn't really find it to be all that much cheaper. Anybody that drives a truck even a F-150 gasser pays a premium to do so but is well worth it in my opinion so I will continue although I am installing my Vegistroke on May 22 so I will be smiling doing it:woot:.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I got rid out my 98 f150 for the truck i have now. I tow a landscape trailer almost every day and a big enclosed car trailer on the weekends. The f150 just didnt have the power to pull it.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I ride dirtbikes so YES I NEED IT

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
This thread cracks me up!

That's like me asking you guys, "Do we really need our 4 wheelers?"

Even better yet, it's like someone in the MB or Lambo forum asking "Do we really need our MBs or our Lambo's?"

The answer is irrelevant. Who cares if we own a truck because we need it for work or not? Lets all just have fun and enjoy them while we still can.

I mean no disrespect GS. I don't think you meant this thread in a bad way. You just wanted to know who really uses their trucks for what they were intended for. I just wanted to share with you guys the humor I saw in this thread and ones similar to it.

And yes, I do use my truck for work. I use Jolene to tow a 10k lb. pressure washing trailer.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This thread cracks me up!

That's like me asking you guys, "Do we really need our 4 wheelers?"

Even better yet, it's like someone in the MB or Lambo forum asking "Do we really need our MBs or our Lambo's?"

The answer is irrelevant. Who cares if we own a truck because we need it for work or not? Lets all just have fun and enjoy them while we still can.

I mean no disrespect GS. I don't think you meant this thread in a bad way. You just wanted to know who really uses their trucks for what they were intended for. I just wanted to share with you guys the humor I saw in this thread and ones similar to it.

And yes, I do use my truck for work. I use Jolene to tow a 10k lb. pressure washing trailer.
well thanks for being cool with it i see your point and thats why i started this thread was to hear what people say cause i have my own veiws and thoughts and i dont voice them because they are mine but i wanted to see what you guys thought plus i was bored in class so i thought i would do something lol

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Mine gets driven maybe once every other weekend on saturdays maybe,to lowes,home depot for flowers/ wood for projects.I drive a Co. truck home each day so no fuel cost to me there.I have a new Corvette that sleeps in the garage and comes out to play some weekends and a Honda Accord Daily driver for my wife.Looking at a vette for my wife,these things are rated at 28 mpg but mine gets 34 mpg on trips,love it.:thumb:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Needed here.:icon_ford: I tried to get away with a gasser but my loads were just killing it. On the other hand does my wife need her Titan,( Which gets crappy MPG's ) No, But she gets in so many fender benders I thought it would be more safe for her.:dunno:
Hope you get the aswers you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Needed here.:icon_ford: I tried to get away with a gasser but my loads were just killing it. On the other hand does my wife need her Titan,( Which gets crappy MPG's ) No, But she gets in so many fender benders I thought it would be more safe for her.:dunno:
Hope you get the aswers you are looking for.
lol let her have the titan lol i dotn want anybody getting hurt lol:thumb:

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
PHP:
lol let her have the titan lol i dotn want anybody getting hurt lol
Yea, She is a little scary in my truck. Hits curbs, Ran over our trash can one day ect ect ect ect ect ect.:doh:
But I love her to death.:thumb:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well, How to answer this? I have two teenage kids and wife, we all work hard all week between jobs, school, house/yard work and animals. We all get pretty stressed, so once in a while we hook the superduty to the 31' camper and get away. It pulls the camper for about 1/2 the money the gasser did, therefore we can go more often or save that money for other needs/wants. So to answer your question, yes we really need it.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts