Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure why mine did not work but........... I got to looking a service records and found that I have not installed a new air filter in 25K miles. Had a new filter but have just been watching the gauge. The truck started to smoke black a couple weeks ago but thought nothing of it. Installed a new filter and all the smoking quit and it seems to be running better. JJ

·
Premium Member
31,729 Posts
I have to check mine. I have been thinking the same thing lately:thumb:

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,961 Posts
Unless you got your filter wet or you had it in some incredibly dusty places, your stock air filter should not plug up in 25k miles. They are designed to hold 3 lbs of dirt. You can test your filter minder by pulling a vacuum on it - it may just be working and you have another issue.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
On my old 7.3 I was dumb enough to trust the minder, until I hit 60k and it still said it was ok. It had barely budged and I figured that had to be b.s. When I pulled that filter out it was black and completely full of crap. I don't know how the truck even ran with the filter so crudded. With the new filter in it fealt like somebody had taken a rock out from under my fuel pedal! I also got back 1.5mpg I had lost...

The loss of power over time to a dirty filter is so gradual you don't notice it until you get it back.:)

So NO, I'll never trust the filter minders again. I don't change the filter every 20k, because they cost so dang much, but I do change it every 30k whether it needs it or not. I don't even check the filter minder-- as I don't trust them either!

·
Registered
776 Posts
I follow Fords advice and check it by going open throttle and check the Boost Gauge. I do this every months or so and know when my truck will loose power. It cost $0.50 in fuel and I can even do it in the take off from my driveway. These trucks need the carbon pumped out of them so I just rev it to the gouvenor once in a while. My GM's were hard on Filters but I put in K&N's that were washable. I never noticed to much more power on the turbo 6.5L but on the normaly aspired 90 6.2L, it realy gave it a lot torque at the 2000-3000 RPM Range.

·
Registered
467 Posts
What is the test to check the air filter? I dont think I have changed mine in like 50k and the filter minder says 25%. I looked at it and its till pretty blue.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
i had a K&N in mine, filter miner said it was good. I never have seen so much cr^P in my life. The dirtiest thing i have ever seen. I wont trust em either.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
maybe i should check mine...seems it hasnt moved and im over 72k miles !!!

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
maybe time 4 me 2 upgrade my air filter...!!!

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
the filter minder probably works fine this guy sounds like he was just being over cautious. I say trust the minder.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Mine works and its already started moving after 10k.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put 60,000 miles on mine and the filter minder was only on about 25%. I ask the tech at the dealership and he said go by the minder. At the next oil change I had them put a new one in it anyway, did not feel comfortable running a filter that long. I wish I would of ask to see the old one to see how dirty it was, but I forgot to ask.

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,961 Posts
You really can't tell about a filter by looking. I am weighing mine (new weight and removed weight).

·
Premium Member
4,448 Posts
I installed a filter minder on my fusion when i bought it. it has just started to move now with 54000 miles. I check it every oil change and it looks like new.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow and I felt ashamed at having 25K on mine. Some of yall have a bunch on yalls. Oh well. I run the truck in very dusty conditions. I work on heavy equipment and sometimes the sites are really dusty. Oh well I fell better. JJ

·
Registered
27 Posts
Wow and I felt ashamed at having 25K on mine. Some of yall have a bunch on yalls. Oh well. I run the truck in very dusty conditions. I work on heavy equipment and sometimes the sites are really dusty. Oh well I fell better. JJ
I wanted to change it alot earlier, but they kept telling me at the dealership everytime I would ask that just go by the minder. I finally just told them change it for a piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts