Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking for some clarification over built trannys. Ive got a 03 f350 7.3. 8inches of lift and 37s and eventually 14 and 40s. I drive the truck around town to work and school. Nothing crazy nor alot of towing. I do hope to eventually run a 38r though. Should I get a built tranny like BTS or just maybe a suncoast rebuild kit with a stronger torque convertor?

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i would regear the rear end for sure....

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
how long till your gonna do the 40's.... and try 40s and make sure you like them there is a big difference dont gear for a certain tire and then change it...

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will my main focus is making sure the engine and tranny is strong til i focus on that suspension. Wouldnt 4.56s be just ok for 37s right now and good for 40s eventually?

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
If thats all your doing, just get a big *** cooler, and a good VB and tc. NO need for a BTS tranny.

·
Registered
8,710 Posts
All depends on miles on the trans, condition and If your planing on keeping your truck.

If the trans is in good condition and 100K+- get a BTS VB and a better converter..

if 125-150k miles ...start saving $

IMO you must get gears..4.56 is what I would do

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The truck has 196,000 miles on it.My dad bought it new and i bought it from him so i know its been treated well. Im hoping just a good valve body and torque convertor will be enough. Decided to go with 4.56s without a locker.

·
Banned
5,630 Posts
Thats an awful lot of gear... I know guys w/ obs trucks w/ 37's and stock 4.10's and they are doing alright; a more powerful SD shouldnt have an issue with 4.10's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts