Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just replaced my hpop, ficm, oil cooler, batteries, and did an egr delete. I uplled the turbo and cleaned the unison ring etc. I deleted the egr by pounding some freeze plugs in both ends of the egr cooler.

My 05 6.0 (220k miles) seems to be working great again. As I was warned, my check engine light has come on due to the egr delete. Not ready right now to spend more money for a tuner to delete the thrown codes. (P6606 if I recal from the autozone free check) Is my performance effected or am I fu****ing anything up by running the truck with the check engine light on? thanks again everyone.

·
Premium Member
17,255 Posts
It wont hurt a thing. The truck may go into limp mode eventually though. Not sure.

·
Banned
976 Posts
I deleted the egr by pounding some freeze plugs in both ends of the egr cooler.
I don't consider that an egr delete. All you've done is attempted to plug the exhaust flow. Temporarily. 1200 degree exhaust will make the soft freeze plugs expand/contract......you would want to weld something in there. Or better yet, do it correctly. You're egr valve I assume is still there. You can clean it, then check it every so often to see if the exhaust flow has burned right through the freezeplugs.

Just had a thought....what happens to melted freeze plugs in this scenario? I can see small pieces of metal passing into the intake through the still operating valve.....because you don't have the SCT to turn the valve off. Remote possibility pieces go into cylinder and there goes the engine.

Ya, better do it right. The check engine light shouldn't affect anything....just an irritant to tell you the egr flow is low so a stealership can suck some money out of you.

Note: Freezeplugs are not good for any high temp application, such as 1200 degree exhaust. If you lack the money for a kit, pull it again and have a shop weld the ends.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts