Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to install the ARP headstuds and need to know what kind of head gaskets to use. Would it be best to use steel head gaskets? Where kind I order them from? Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
I am going to install the ARP headstuds and need to know what kind of head gaskets to use. Would it be best to use steel head gaskets? Where kind I order them from? Thanks
Are you under warranty? If so, the factory gaskets will work fine with the studs. If not under warranty, Hypermax makes a set of gaskets that are steel and ringed. No machining of the heads is required. They have been tested to 500 hp for 40 hours and intermittent runs to 625 hp. Here is a link for you. Hypermax - Product Display

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice truck! Mine is not under warranty, those gaskets are nice but are the serious about $475 for a set of gaskets? I couldnt imagine paying that for gaskets. I guess I will stick with the factory set. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,892 Posts
Nice truck! Mine is not under warranty, those gaskets are nice but are the serious about $475 for a set of gaskets? I couldnt imagine paying that for gaskets. I guess I will stick with the factory set. Thanks!
The gaskets aren't the problem anyway. You're fixing the main problem by installing the studs. I would eliminate the EGR cooler and you should be set. Thats all I've done to mine.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
The gaskets aren't the problem anyway. You're fixing the main problem by installing the studs. I would eliminate the EGR cooler and you should be set. Thats all I've done to mine.
I agree, If I was building a motor to race, I would shim it, But since you are under warranty, I would use factory head gaskets, And yes You are fixing the major problem by studding it.
It is good to know that shims are only 500.00, I have never looked into it.

·
Premium Member
9,475 Posts
The stock gaskets will stand up to a lot of power when studded.

·
Premium Member
19,111 Posts
I agree with the others that studding it will allow it to take a bunch of abuse. Even if you ring it AND the heads hold, you don't want all that power bending or breaking your connecting rods and windowing your block. You probably aren't intending to put that much power to the ground, anyway...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
use the factory gaskets and the ARP's and you will be good..I might have a set of gaskets, I will let you know. I agree with above..since you are out of warranty..block off or delete your EGR cooler and it will save you headache's,time and money in the long run.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok sounds good. If you do have a set of gaskets that would be great, let me know how much you need, thanks!

·
Registered
3,383 Posts
egr and head gaskets are number one reason for 6.0l failures. Fix them both while your in there!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts