Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 06 350 for about 3 weeks now. It's rough starting in the AM compared to my former 06 350. I read somewhere on here to cycle the glow plugs twice, because they may be going bad, and it should help. I've been doing that, and it indeed does start much smoother - how I'm accustomed to.

On to the next part, the dealer in MD I purchased from included a 30 day/1000 mile warranty. I'd like opinions from you all as to whether I have a glow plug issue and whether I should pursue having the dealership replace them under the warranty (which I only have about 150 miles left under). I guess I need to do a test on them that I saw posted on here last week to see if they're bad.

Lastly, I've been reading some posts in regard to no power until warmed up and I can relate to it... But I just figured this was because guys were getting in and taking off. I let mine warm up some in the AM and the problem is non-existant. Is that something I should worry about, or should I shrug it off as being part of living with a diesel?

·
Compression Ignition Addict
6,272 Posts
I would take it to the dealership and see what they find since you still have warranty left. It may be more than glow plugs. If you do not have the latest "flash" for your 3 processors, tell them that you know the flash updates will help your starting performance. This alone is worth the visit to the dealership IMO (unless you know you already have the updates).

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bismic,
Now I'm worried... I bought this thing from a Hummer dealer that is 2 hours and 45 minutes from my house. Don't think they'll be able to do much. Not sure how to go about all this now. Do you mind me asking what other things could be wrong?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Read the conditions of your warranty...there might be a provision about taking it elsewhere.

Obviously a Hummer dealer (GM) isn't going to have the knowledge to diagnose a problem with the relatively complicated/sophisticated glow plug module. The glow plug module does actually have some self testing/checking features, so it should throw codes if there is a problem (bismic will know more about this than me)

I've never had a problem starting it up. If you just bought it, it might have crappy old fuel in it, so burning through your current tank might help on that front

·
6,272 Posts
The warranty is based on the original purchase date and the current miles. It follows the vehicle - independent of the owner or where you bought it.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The warranty is based on the original purchase date and the current miles. It follows the vehicle - independent of the owner or where you bought it.
He's talking about the warranty the Hummer dealership offered him.

But yeah, on these trucks there is a 100k mile warranty from Ford that ought to cover the glowplug issue

·
6,272 Posts
Assuming it is under 100k miles - then it is under warranty ($100 deductible per problem). I was too brief earlier I guess. I did in fact mean take it to a Ford dealership, clearly not back to the Hummer place. Ford will honor the warranty. You should get the new flash upgrades for all 3 processors and a check for DTC's. If it shows glow plug issues, you should get these under warranty also. I would insist on all this or you will be stuck w/ $100 for each separate visit. They may even change the EGR, which normally I would say is a plus, but there is a bad batch of EGR's supplied to Ford. Lots of failures on new ones.

Ask around - find others w/ 6.0's, ask questions on their repair experiences (if they have any) and find the best dealership. Find out if there are any Diagnostic Trouble Codes and post them if there are any.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts