Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 2000 F350 dually with a 6-speed tranny about a month ago. The other day while vacuuming it out, I notice the boot was loose. I raised it up to find that the floor had a few cuts in it along with some old shop rags stuffed around the bottom of the shifter which I assume is to deaden road noise. My first thought was that the 6-speed was swapped into an automatic truck and they half-assed the hole in the floor. Upon further research with running my VIN through the dealership and confirming with the door sticker, my truck came factory with the 6 speed. So im not real sure what the deal is. Anyway, is there a gasket or seal or something that goes under the boot so I can fix it the correct way?

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
The rubber boot has two layers one that wraps around the shifter it's self and an inner layer that gets pinched between the plastic ring and the floor board sounds like they tore it up for a clutch job I did the same thing order a new shift boot and plastic ring problem solved

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, he installed a new clutch kit and flywheel before I bought it. Thanks for the info. Any particular name for it or would you possibly know the part number from where you replaced yours? Thanks again.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't removed mine yet to check it out. The stealership quoted me $80 but that was for the whole boot kit. My shift boot is perfect I just need the part that covers the hole in the floor. Just curious if it's a complicated looking part or just a piece of flat plastic. As in, could it be made from another material and save $80.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
I was gonna build a piece out of thin stainless or aluminum and self tap it in seems just as easy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea I have access to scrap aluminum street signs about 1/16" - 1/8" thick, I might try to go that route. Hard for me to justify $80 on a thin piece of plastic.

·
spool up that turbo!!
2,008 Posts
Exactly hey you could sand the aluminum down and make it look cool too

1 - 8 of 8 Posts